main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

Highlighted
4: Newbie

I'd like to use it as a wireless access point only lol as it's Wireless AC.

View more options
Highlighted
2: Seeker

My password is eight characters, alphabetic only (a mix of upper and lower case) - i.e. no digits or special characters.

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

My problem was that my Samsung TV was no longer able to connect to the contents of my pc. They way I solved that was by buying a £10 TP-Link switch!

View more options
Highlighted

My contract is coming to an end with BT and tbh I was going to move to Vodafone on price. Although BT couldn't match £10 per month for fibre, the "lifetime' cost over 24 months (which is BT's re-sign obligation) is only a saving of £30 once you factor in the activation and P&P fees, so I'm staying put. I probably would have moved had I not heard about this router hassle.

View more options
Highlighted

They waived all joining charges for me, I joined for free by calling them up a couple of weeks ago.

The router hassle doesn't bother me at all with my solution, other than them blocking port 443 for their mobile app to control the router - a cool little app if being able to control the red LED shadow and wifi settings is exciting for you.

It'd just be nice to have the freedom of using our own routers; although I don't have a VDSL modem / router I could plug in right now anyway.

I wonder if the BT Openreach VDSL model would work with a standard PPoE router authentication?

View more options
Highlighted
It's not just my tv cant, it's every device... Phone, laptop, tv, android tv. As soon as the routers restarted all is good again. Thought the problem I'm having alot recently is that any wireless device isn't getting an IP address..... Thing will go in the bin soon.

Official complaint is going to be filed. Of anyone knows anywhere else we can complain to then let us know as this is getting beyond a joke.
View more options
Highlighted
@ywu - you are better off staying put. I pay barely anything for VF broadband and would be happier paying 30quid a month elsewhere to have working hardware and better customer service.

Even my old HomeHub 3 ##~## all over this. Never had an issue with that, it just worked!
View more options
Highlighted

This Beta firmware (next version) was promised to be released early in the new year last December.

The fact they tried to do a rollout and it was a complete mess is a big embarrassment for the Vodafone Broadband development team.

View more options
Highlighted

Actually, I just did my sums again as I had forgotten to add line rental, which BT allows you to pay in advance. Makes the difference minimal really, with BT more expensive by £16.53 over two years. Of course, I'd have to re-sign for line rental at the 12 month point at some unknown rate but I wouldn't expect it'll be too far off.

View more options
Highlighted
I tried the username and password combination I received by 'phone on June 26th (using a Netgear DG834 router) so I gave up after getting CHAP authentication error message. But today, determined to give it another go, I disconnected the VF router, plugged in the Netgear device and ... it worked! My Netgear router had saved the username and password. The reason I went back to trying this again was because I backed up the configurations settings into an XML file, then opened it in a text editor. Searching on "username" I found the correct dsl000nnnnnn[at]broadband.vodafone.co.uk username. The XML file also contains several strings with password too. But I haven't tried using that. Just going to leave things working. I think the answer is ring-up and ask for username and password.
View more options
Highlighted
So have they started giving this out now?

Can you provide an example password format please?

Thanks!
View more options
Highlighted
It's an 8 digit alphanumeric string with upper and lower case. I guess each password is account specific given that each username seems to be unique.
View more options
Highlighted
Where was your password in the XML file? I searched but couldn't find it or anything that looked like it. There were some strings that contained lines which mentioned password but they were not my account password.
View more options
Highlighted

So after another "chat" with VF. I have now had my router software "upgraded" to 5.4.8.1.160.13.77 from the 5.4.8.1.271.1.41 I had peviously. So gone are the nicer looing GUI and ability to disable DHCP. Not sure how they can send out older firmware as an "upgrade".

Guess it means i dont have to restart my router multiple times a day, however not really a solution to the fact the router is defective.

So I have my username, if anyone knows how to find the password then let us know. It appears Vodafone are adamant that they cannot give out details, and are not budging on this for me having sooken to 4 different people now. You guys who got it are lucky!!

(but not quite as lucky as those who devices against joining VF at all, think they are the grand prize winners).

Off to file me a complaint letter I guess

View more options
Highlighted

SUCCESS!! FULL WORKING ON NETGEAR VDSL X4S D7800!!

BLISS!

I had similar issues and after googling and randomly clicking came across this forum and thank god!

I was experiencing strange drop outs and wifi drops with quality loss on iplayer etc. across many houshold devices. This was with my older netgear nighthawk which I used with BT before switching to Voda, now connected to the voda box. I kept resetting/unplugging pulling hair out blaming myself etc...

Read all the pages on this thread, made a phone call to voda support today, explained in the nicest possible way to a girl who then said she wouldn't be allowed to give out that information but if I take all responsibilty for using my modem and that she would add that to the notes on my account she would speak to her manager who would OK it. 2 mins later she tells me my login and pass. Thank you!!!!

To celebrate I went all out this afternoon and bought a Netgear Nighthawk X4s modem router! Plugged in the adsl plug in the back and followed the genie and selected UK as country and BT (important) as provider as per someone else's post. It then prompted me for a username and password which I put in and then that was it! I'm online and using it right now. Voda modem is back in it's cardboard box ha!

Despite what other frustrated users have said here and jumped ship etc, I'm prepared to give Voda a chance as they're only just starting out and their offer was too good, they waivered practically all charges and I get free calls anytime and 300 mins to mobiles, yes not happy about the 084 number connection charge but I get free caller display as well as voicemail which cannot be said for BT!!!!

Tried negotiating with BT after being a customer for 20 years they didn't want to know and only dropped the price of broadband fibre to £20p/m for loyalty but charged for everything else including voicemail and caller display!!??? Absolutely pathetic on BT's part and I'd talked to many people in the retentions department thinking I just got the wrong representative.

I'm staying with Voda til my 18 months are up and see what deal they can do next!

Highlighted
Appears then that I just seem to always get through to those unwilling to be of any help.
View more options
Highlighted
This becomes a different argument completely when they start giving out the details to some customers and not others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View more options
Highlighted

Sorry guys. Best thing is to either ask for manager and explain you're not a newbie and take full responsibility for configuring your modem yourself. As far as I know all ISP's should by rights give you your own DSL account login details, they're yours after all.

By all means mention this forum to back you up.

Vodafone should take note and perhaps do a deal with netgear for modem routers like Virgin and not cheap Huwai options with zero support after the mass purchase deal is done.

View more options
Highlighted
OK Jeevez I understand your point but you're starting to talk about things where you don't appear to have the full facts.

We, the customer, do not have any rights to the credentials that allow us access to Vodafone's fibre network. It's their network, they can manage access to it by the paying customer anyway they want. Don't like it? Simple, stop paying.

The Virgin Media router, if you're talking about the Superhub was a terrible piece of kit the last time I used one and not one of Netgears finest creations. Like most Netgear home stuff it was built to budget and crippled by software. Go check VM forums about all the issues with the Superhub. Like us many VM customers want to use their own kit but originally found they couldn't till there was a mass outcry & VM introduced a modem only mode.

The Huawei router is not a bad piece of kit perse it's Vodafone's software that is crippling it and Huawei is not responsible for this. Personally I'd prefer Huawei bog standard consumer networking kit to Netgears any day of the week
View more options
Highlighted
Got my credentials finally. Now to go router shopping. Be nice to not have to keep restarting it. I guess it ain't the connection that's the issue, just their flawed hardware. Hopefully they will take heed of customers and sort it out.

It's all well and good trying to keep control.of the hardware and locking certain things down to make it easy for them to support, but they should take note that some people actually know what that are doing and are more than capable of maintaining their own router. Especially when locking it down and restricting stuff just end up making the box unstable.

So.. suggestions for a new router?
View more options