Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

mattman
4: Newbie

I have posted this into off topic as I can not see any reference to Vodafone Home phone and Broadband.

I have install the router and all is working but there one thing that is missing from the setting of the VDSL router that being a function to turn off DHCP, I have for the pasted 10 year had my own network running at home with a fully working server that is my DHCP & DNS server but for the first time in history I have just sign up for 18 month and got a bloody router that has no function in the GUI settings pages to turn OFF the DHCP server. So for now I will have to wait for 18 months before I can change ISP. thanks vodafone tech team for missing this one. If there is anyone out there that can offer me a firmware update to give me the function to turn OFF DHCP then please post it.

602 REPLIES 602

jimborae
OK Jeevez I understand your point but you're starting to talk about things where you don't appear to have the full facts.

We, the customer, do not have any rights to the credentials that allow us access to Vodafone's fibre network. It's their network, they can manage access to it by the paying customer anyway they want. Don't like it? Simple, stop paying.

The Virgin Media router, if you're talking about the Superhub was a terrible piece of kit the last time I used one and not one of Netgears finest creations. Like most Netgear home stuff it was built to budget and crippled by software. Go check VM forums about all the issues with the Superhub. Like us many VM customers want to use their own kit but originally found they couldn't till there was a mass outcry & VM introduced a modem only mode.

The Huawei router is not a bad piece of kit perse it's Vodafone's software that is crippling it and Huawei is not responsible for this. Personally I'd prefer Huawei bog standard consumer networking kit to Netgears any day of the week

Lemaru
Got my credentials finally. Now to go router shopping. Be nice to not have to keep restarting it. I guess it ain't the connection that's the issue, just their flawed hardware. Hopefully they will take heed of customers and sort it out.

It's all well and good trying to keep control.of the hardware and locking certain things down to make it easy for them to support, but they should take note that some people actually know what that are doing and are more than capable of maintaining their own router. Especially when locking it down and restricting stuff just end up making the box unstable.

So.. suggestions for a new router?

I bought a TP-Link Archer VR900, purely based on good reviews.  It seems pretty good so far - very quick, wifi coverage excellent and definitely works with Vodafone broadband. 

I'm sure there are many other equally as good choices, but I can verify no problems with this one on VF.

Lemaru
Was looking at the Netgear AC1200 as the nighthawk is getting quite pricey. Don't really wanna edge over 100quid if I can help it.

Otherwise it's use me openreach modem and get a cheaper router

jimborae
Asus RT-AC 68u or RT-AC 66u running Merlin firmware. Rock solid and loads of options and well supported.

jimborae
You'll need to use your openreach modem though.

jimborae
The TP-Link Archer recommended above is also a good option.

I spoke to Vodafone today and got the generic message "We don't give out DSL login information to residential customers, just business customers"

Are you guys business customers?

I didn't even know Vodafone did business broadband.

Hey arctic, keep trying and different times of day you WILL get there be polite! Also mention you accept full responsibility for using your own modem and won't need support, they were keen to point that out to me, that and that ALL calls are recorded which was fine by me.

Makes you wonder what could really go wrong lol.

Thanks I'll keep you updated