Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

mattman
4: Newbie

I have posted this into off topic as I can not see any reference to Vodafone Home phone and Broadband.

I have install the router and all is working but there one thing that is missing from the setting of the VDSL router that being a function to turn off DHCP, I have for the pasted 10 year had my own network running at home with a fully working server that is my DHCP & DNS server but for the first time in history I have just sign up for 18 month and got a bloody router that has no function in the GUI settings pages to turn OFF the DHCP server. So for now I will have to wait for 18 months before I can change ISP. thanks vodafone tech team for missing this one. If there is anyone out there that can offer me a firmware update to give me the function to turn OFF DHCP then please post it.

602 REPLIES 602

Hi Steven

Could you post your findings on this forum please.[Removed by moderator]

Haven got many users yet but I hope to build up the user base.

Thanks

Matt

As a few people have mentioned on here, one way to resolve the problems I found was to introduce a second more powerful and configurable router into the equation.

These are the steps I followed to get a performant internal network. While I'd rather ditch the vodafone connect router, this helped me out:

1. Confiugre a second router to to act as the focal point of my home network, with it having the internal LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0

2. Configure this second router's wifi, DHCP, DNS servers to be Google's or anything else you desire

3. configure this second router to use its ethernet WAN port with the static IP 10.0.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 

4. Plug a cable in from the second router's WAN port to a LAN port on the Vodafone router

5. Momentarily attach a device to the Vodafone connect router directly (wifi or cable) to configure it via the web interface

6. Turn off everything you can on the Covdafone router (wifi etc.) to make it as dumb as possible

7. Give it the internal LAN IP of 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

8. Set the DMZ/static route option to be "on" and the IP address to route to to be 10.0.0.2 (i.e. the second router)

This configuration means traffic just uses the Vodafone router basically as a modem. Your more powerful second router is leasing IP addresses to your network and uses the DNS servers you specify and everything is generally alot beter.

Some services will complain they think they're double NATd because the WAN IP of the router they're connecting to is another internal network but the DMZ setting on the Vodafone routing everything to the second router I think helps in this respect but I can't be entirely sure. Certainly everything I've used to date works just fine.

It's a bit daft having to do this but without the connection settings you can't swap the router out.

One more tip - if you ever have to speak to Vodafone for support then get a device connected temporarily back to the Vodafone Connect router and troubleshoot via that as otherwise explaining such a setup can lead to much confusion on their end so best to pretend your entire network behind the second router doesn't exist!

This is how I have to be configured till EE take over and I can get back to a one box solution. for those less technical it would be a nightmare to set this stuff up. 

@lasbo55 wrote:

As a few people have mentioned on here, one way to resolve the problems I found was to introduce a second more powerful and configurable router into the equation.

These are the steps I followed to get a performant internal network. While I'd rather ditch the vodafone connect router, this helped me out:

1. Confiugre a second router to to act as the focal point of my home network, with it having the internal LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0

2. Configure this second router's wifi, DHCP, DNS servers to be Google's or anything else you desire

3. configure this second router to use its ethernet WAN port with the static IP 10.0.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 

4. Plug a cable in from the second router's WAN port to a LAN port on the Vodafone router

5. Momentarily attach a device to the Vodafone connect router directly (wifi or cable) to configure it via the web interface

6. Turn off everything you can on the Covdafone router (wifi etc.) to make it as dumb as possible

7. Give it the internal LAN IP of 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

8. Set the DMZ/static route option to be "on" and the IP address to route to to be 10.0.0.2 (i.e. the second router)

This configuration means traffic just uses the Vodafone router basically as a modem. Your more powerful second router is leasing IP addresses to your network and uses the DNS servers you specify and everything is generally alot beter.

Some services will complain they think they're double NATd because the WAN IP of the router they're connecting to is another internal network but the DMZ setting on the Vodafone routing everything to the second router I think helps in this respect but I can't be entirely sure. Certainly everything I've used to date works just fine.

It's a bit daft having to do this but without the connection settings you can't swap the router out.

One more tip - if you ever have to speak to Vodafone for support then get a device connected temporarily back to the Vodafone Connect router and troubleshoot via that as otherwise explaining such a setup can lead to much confusion on their end so best to pretend your entire network behind the second router doesn't exist!

Hi

Sorry to bother you but i think my only solution is to do what you have done.

I had a BT homehub 5 which worked brilliantly.

Can you please guide me through the steps of setting it up the way you did?

I am not a total newbie but need some guidance to do that

Thanks a million

I don't know that you're going to be able to do it with a HH5. I don't know the router but as it is ISP provided I don't know if it can do the key thing it needs to which is to have an Ethernet WAN port that is configurable. Do you know if it has is?

Hi

There are options to add port forwarding, I have yet to come across a static IP setting also I do believe that you can not use a different router.

I have set up a forum here [Removed by moderator] you can post questions here as I'm trying to build up the users base.

Matt

Makelo
12: Established

Does seem a pretty crippled router without those settings, things I would consider very basic and necessary. I'm intrigued, you say there is port forwarding ability in the router but without the static IP assignment how can you forward a port to a device?

Hi Makelo

I use a free dynamic DNS called duckdns.org by use a small linux script running with crons I can update the dns so therefore no need for a static IP address.

Matt

Head over to this forum and we can talk more, search for vodafonebroadband on freeforums.org

Makelo

You misunderstood what I meant about static IP. Dynamic DNS is, as you state, a way to enable connecting to your network via the WAN. This is required because, I assume at least, like most other home broadband providers, Vodafone only offer dynamically assigned IP addresses.

I was referring to assigning a static IP to a device on the LAN, not the WAN port. Without a way to allocate a staticIP to a specific device I can't see any way to forward a port to that device. Unless there is some other way of doing it, such as port forwarding to a MAC address which is something I have never seen on a router, I can't see how it can be done without the static IP allocation.

Makelo

Sorry I see what you are looking for now, there is a setting that will give you 'DHCP reservation settings' under advanced then additional setings and then at the bottom of the page.

This will allow you to add the MAC address of the PC and then the enter a static IP address.

have a visit to my fourm if you need anymore help just search vodafoneboardband on freeforum.org

Regards

Matt