Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

swap phone numbers on sim only contracts

Lime52
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

There seems to be massive confusion here with regards to a sim only contract ending with vodafone and a new sim only contract being purchased and moving the old number to the new Sim.

One operator online told me some long winded service that meant moving the original sim to Pay as you Go waiting 30 days then another 30 days to get the original number back on the new sim

Next Operator said cant be done at all

Last Operator said no problem either ring the Concern team from your mobile on 191 or take your phone and both sims into any Vodafone shop and they will swap the numbers.  Sounds simple  who do I believe.

Something seriously wrong with Vodafone service when you have 3 different replies

Peter

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lime52

With Vodafone offering excellent discounts at the moment for SIM only when upgrading the same number, your best option would be to negotiate an upgrade.

If you have taken out a new SIM only contract, before being able to transfe your previous number, this is going to mean cancelling the contract, you can't transfer an incontract number.  The advise you have been given to transfer to PAYG is the correct procedure.  Due to 30 days notice for cancellation, tranferring the number to PAYG will take 30 days to complete.

The other way would be to PAC out the number you want to keep onto an alternative network and back in onto the new contract, but not sure of the other network being willing to do this immediately.

Hi Ann

The last method wasnt to port the number out to another provider and back again. Pac codes were never mentioned and neither was any other network. This was swapping one vodafone sim only number for another vodafone sim number.

As for your upgrade suggestion Sim only with Vodafone through Vodafone is £17 for Unlimited text and calls with 8000mb data.

Same sim through mobiles.co.uk is £6 after cashback. Vodafone wont match that. Its a no brainer to go for the £6.

Your reply confirms the incompetance of Vodafone leaving people completely confused.

Do you work for Vodafone ? or are you just going with what they have told you.

Taken from chat transcript

Peter: why was i told the other day that this couldnt be done by one customer service operator and another told me some long winded process that takes 2 months changing to a pay as you go
Peter: Now you tell me i can just swap numbers
Neepa: For that we've a dedicated team available on call and they can only be able to arrange number transfer to new SIM only deal.
Peter: So how do i know this will work when i come back in january and somebody tells me a different story that you cant transfer a number from one sim only to another sim only contract
Neepa: I'll make notes on the account for this. 
Neepa:

So you no need to worry