Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connected, no internet

ph2367
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

So my journey with Vodafone broadband started on 15th July.  My original activation date was 5th August, and I was switching from SSE to Vodafone (no engineer required).

On that day nothing happened, when I queried this with Customer Service the following day I was informed that OpenReach had not placed my order, and that I would have to effectively re-place my order, leaving me without internet for over two weeks....

I since received a second router in the post.  The new activation date is today 22nd August.  

On the router, I have solid white lights for Internet, WiFi and Power, but I can only connect to the network, and cannot access the internet...

My questions are does it matter if I don't use the 2nd router?

If I need to use the 2nd router, do I need to uninstall the My Vodafone mobile app to update the details.

Are there any diagnostics tests that I can do at my side to see what's gone wrong?

If I still cannot connect to the internet by tomorrow, what can be done to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Yes, I have a DWA0120 here. I'm certain you could get that to work on Vodafone, but the problem is the Technicolor routers won't get firmware updates unless they are on their original ISP, and Technicolor don't have the firmwares on their site.

The THG3000 is probably a better router, it's just there are so few options you can change.

Edit. I very much doubt it was Openreach, just another Vodafone muck up.

View solution in original position

27 REPLIES 27

Hi again,

I've re-set the router several times (at the request of the Vodafone tech team whilst I was on the phone to them).

I've also tried both routers - the Tech team suggested to use the 2nd router.  I confirmed the serial number to them.

When I try to connect a device to the router, it initially says authorisation required, and then Connected, no internet.

Jayach

If you login to the router, same tab as the diagnostics there is a reconnect option. If you try it a few times, do you get the same IP address, or does it change?

Hi,

Each time that I click Reconnect a new IP address is generated.

Thanks 

Jayach

That means you are definitely connecting to a DHCP server, but it doesn't appear to be Vodafone's judging by the IP address. Are they always similar to the one posted?

What is the gateway address you are getting, and is it always the same? Perhaps that will give us some clue as to what is happening. Presumably if you try pinging that it will respond.

Mine is 90.246.0.1 can you ping that?

Hi,

The IPV4 addresses are not really similar every time I try to reconnect:

These ones are

The Gateway address is 90.247.128.1

I have tried pinging your gateway address, but this has not worked.

Vodafone's tech team have contacted OpenReach to check if it's an issue with their side (I think it may be), and I should hear back by Wednesday.

Jayach

Those are all Vodafone addresses, unlike the earlier one you partially posted. It really should be working.

I can't see it being an Openreach problem, as they are just the carrier and you are obviously contacting the Vodafone servers in order to get the IP address issued.

Are you still using the alternate DNS addresses? (in case it is the content controls)

Edit:

@ph2367 wrote:

I have tried pinging your gateway address, but this has not worked.

Can you ping your own gateway?

Hi,

Thanks for your help to date with this.

I have changed the DNS back to automatic.

I'm unable to ping my own Gateway address - I don't know if this means it's a problem with my socket or the line.

For what it's worth between the 1st and 2nd activation dates it was suggested that I used the test socket, so I unscrewed the screws in the master socket, and tried that.  I've since replaced the face plate, and the screws.  I'm also not connected a home phone to the microfilter.  I don't think that will make a difference.

Jayach

If there was a problem with the socket, you may get reduced speeds and/or drop outs, but not what you are seeing. Out of interest what sync speed does it show? It's what is shown on the first screen and as "connected rate" in the DSL stats.

In fact it might be useful if you could show us all the stats, like this:

DSL Status

This status page shows technical parameters of your data connection.

DSL Status Information

DSL Mode
ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)

DSL Uptime
16 days, 12 hours, 3 minutes and 43 seconds

Line Coding
DMT

Status
Connected

Number of Cuts

Link Power State
L0

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate79949 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate82628 kbps26933 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio4.1 dB10.4 dB
AttenuationDS1 9.3 dB, DS2 22.8 dB, DS3 35.6 dBUS0 2.1 dB, US1 15.7 dB, US2 25.5 dB
Power12.8 dBm4.9 dBm
CRC Errors in last 23763 minute(s)784760
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)80
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.06480.3819
D (interleaver depth)81
Delay0 ms0 ms

Jayach

I've also had a crazy thought, what happens if you put the SSE router back on? Also what router is it? if it's one of the Technicolor routers it should be possible to use it on Vodafone by getting your username and password from Vodafone.

Hi,

The details are as follows:

DSL Status Information

DSL Mode
ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)

DSL Uptime
35 minutes and 11 seconds

Line Coding
DMT

Status
Connected

Number of Cuts

Link Power State
L0

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate78201 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate80391 kbps29902 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.3 dB12.1 dB
AttenuationDS1 8.1 dB, DS2 18.0 dB, DS3 27.4 dBUS0 4.6 dB, US1 15.7 dB, US2 22.3 dB
Power12.5 dBm2.9 dBm
CRC Errors in last 35 minute(s)00
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)00
R (number of bytes in RS code word)108
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)0.09940.1295
D (interleaver depth)84
Delay0 ms0 ms