Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet light blinking red / flashing red twice before a short pause

K00la
2: Seeker

So yesterday (12th May 2022) I had engineers come to install full fibre as I upgraded my vodafone broadband from superfast2 (70 mbps) to gigafast (910 mbps).

I'll skip over the fact that the engineer drilled over a gas pipe causing a leakage to the actual issue regarding the broadband.

Once the engineers completed the installation, the connection was up and running fine... for a short while.

I had to unplug the black modem / ONT (I believe it's called) when the plumber came to fix the leaked gas pipe, since he had to break the wall and I didn't want dust to get inside the modem (although some did).

So I unplugged it to make it easier for the plumber to weld the hole in the gas pipe. 

After he left, I replugged the modem, and reconnected it to my router.

All the 4 lights on the modem turn green as normal.

On my router, the power light is solid white, the wifi is solid white but the internet light keeps blinking red (blinks red twice fast before a short pause (Photo attached).

Any idea what this means?

I contacted support and they promised me the internet will be back to normal in the morning of next day (today)... spoilers: it hasn't lol.

I've tried resetting the router, resetting the modem, prayed to God, unplugged and replugged all the cables, switched it off for 5 mins and switched back on, prayed to God again, moved the power plug from mains to an extension lead and vice versa... still nothing.

It's been over 24 hours since there is no connection.

I've got exams coming soon, so really need the internet for revision and studying.

On my router, the only 2 cables attached are the power plug (connected to an extension lead) and an ethernet cable (from the modem) in the WAN slot of the router.

These are correct, right?

Before I had an internet cable from the telephone socket, but I assume this has been replaced by the WAN, as the WAN connection wasn't there when I had superfast 2.

When I connect to the wifi on my devices, I see No Internet Connection. If I press on the Reconnect button, nothing happens (screenshot attached).

I've contacted support this morning once again, and they told me that my connection will be back up in 24 - 48 hours, same thing they said to me yesterday.

Anyone have a solution to the red twice-blinking light on the router?

Getting a bit desperate here.

Snapchat-1798880549.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-154653_CaptivePortalLogin.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Aussiedj 
They also told me to wait until midnight, but several midnights went by and it wasn't fixed. I think after 2-3 days I contacted them again and the operator did something on their end.

Magically the light started flashing solid white within 3 minutes. 

I'd suggest waiting till midnight today (honestly not even sure what this wait is for) and if it's not back by morning, just contact them. Most likely it's a similar situation as mine, as they have to do something on their end which literally took no more than 3 minutes.

Hope it gets sorted 

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

network123
5: Helper

Yes, from the ONT the ethernet cable plugs in from there to WAN port. Does sound as an authentication issue, as pointed out above by @Jayach

Log into the router, set 'Expert Mode' on and go to Status & Support, then Fibre Status. What does it say there? (trying to distinguish if the fibre cable is damaged (very easily done), though the picture you've sent suggests otherwise).

Aussiedj

@K00la Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have got the same issue today.

I had the fibre box installed yesterday and then I unplugged the router to switch over power sockets at which point the double flashing red light came up on the internet light. Interestingly the flashing light continues even when I unplug the ethernet to the fibre box! 

Contacted customer support and they also said wait until midnight to allow it to sort itself. Do I need to just let it sort itself or did you have to do something else?

Hey @Aussiedj 
They also told me to wait until midnight, but several midnights went by and it wasn't fixed. I think after 2-3 days I contacted them again and the operator did something on their end.

Magically the light started flashing solid white within 3 minutes. 

I'd suggest waiting till midnight today (honestly not even sure what this wait is for) and if it's not back by morning, just contact them. Most likely it's a similar situation as mine, as they have to do something on their end which literally took no more than 3 minutes.

Hope it gets sorted 

Finally got sorted after being fobbed off for another 24 hours.

The online tech support was rubbish so I called them (something I realise now I should have done when the problem started). I spoke with a lovely tech adviser called Eman who was very patient allowing me to call my wife to get the necessary info as I was at work at the time. She said that during the initial setup after the fibre was installed because the router was powered off it can sometimes lose its settings in this early period. So she resent them to the router once I confirmed the correct serial number and said it would be sorted in about 20 minutes but arranged a call back with me 30 minutes later to check that it had worked. It took about 10 mins and the internet light went to solid white. She stated that the settings would not be lost now and waited on the phone while I powered off the router to confirm. 

Why can't all the tech support be this helpful rather than "give it 24 hours and it will be back on". 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Aussiedj - Thanks for updating the thread and I’m glad to hear that Eman has resolved this for you. We want all our customers to receive the best possible service, regardless of which channel they contact us from.

If you’d like us to investigate what happened when you spoke to our Tech Support team, then please contact us through Social Media.

We can then access your account and check the details to provide feedback.

I have the same issue also.. Flashing red light on the internet at the router. But at fiber box I only have 2 green lights on.. The power and the ethernet.. I spoke twice with Vodafone on web chat and no luck. Now they told me to call them to arrange an appointment with an engineer.. The second guy told me that it might be the Wan cable fault. Any ideas??? 

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If the PON LED isn't lit on the ONT then there's no connection from the exchange. This would be lit even with nothing connected to the ONT so it's nothing to do with the WAN cable.

This needs looking into by an engineer.