Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Notifying Existing Provider when moving from FTTC to FTTP

pablopatito
4: Newbie

I am moving from TalkTalk FTTC to Vodafone FTTP next week. I don't know if this will by CityFibre or OpenReach as both are available at my exchange.

Do I need to notify TalkTalk or will Vodafone do that? I spoke to Vodafone and they say they haven't received a line takeover from Vodafone and that if I notify them instead I will incur a charge for the 30 day notice period.

I spoke to Vodafone and they told they won't notify TalkTalk.

I got the impression on the Vodafone website that transfers from TalkTalk would normally be handled by Vodafone, so I am confused.

I am now considering cancelling the order (if I can) and staying with TalkTalk to prevent the 30 day fee.

39 REPLIES 39

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If the transfer was from FTTC (or even ADSL) to FTTC with another provider then definitely the new provider is responsible for informing the the other.

When going from FTTC to a different technology the same rules won't necessarily apply.

As you are presumably taking your phone number its reasonable to assume they will, but if they don't and the Talk-Talk service is still running after, cancel it then. It may result in you paying an extra month to TalkTalk, but it's better than taking a chance on losing your broadband for awhile. (especially if your FTTP service is delayed for any reason)

I assume you are out of contract with TalkTalk.

Vodafone said I couldn't port my existing phone number. Is this because I am moving from OpenReach to CityFibre? Vodafone didn't actually say which service I would be on, and both are offered in my street. They should be clearer that you need to give notice to your existing provider imo.

Jayach

If you have been told you can't transfer your number (which I am surprised at) then you must assume they will not cancel your TalkTalk for you, and will need to do it yourself.

When you signed up it should have said what your upload and download speeds on the service you are transferring to will be. If the up and down are the same it will be Cityfibre, if the down is higher than the up, it will be Openreach.

My guess it it will be Cityfibre.

Could you not have upgraded to FTTP with TalkTalk?.

Upload and download quoted as the same, so sounds like it will be CityFibre then. I could have upgraded with TalkTalk but Vodafone had a much better deal on. Hope I don't regret it!

Jayach

@pablopatito wrote:

Hope I don't regret it!

Me too, fingers crossed. 🤞

Even now, after Vodafone telling me I should have given notice to TalkTalk, I'm getting e-mails that say:

"If you're switching from a non-Openreach provider, for example Virgin Media, we'd recommend making sure your current service doesn't end until your Vodafone broadband has been successfully installed."

Clearly implying that if I'm moving from an Openreach provider like TalkTalk, I don't need to give notice. If feels like they haven't updated their procedures to reflect CityFibre installations.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @pablopatito, When you're moving from another Openreach provider to us (using a standard Openreach line) the switch over is usually handled via a dedicated Openreach team, so you wouldn't need to advise your previous provider of the move. As you're moving to a Cityfibre line, you will need to cancel your current Openreach service. Apologies for any confusion this message may have caused, I'll get this fed back to the correct team so we can get this updated.

The problem is, I had no idea that I was moving to Cityfibre rather than Openreach. Cityfibre isn't mentioned at all on the Vodafone website or in any of the communications I have had with Vodafone. All I have been told is that I am moving to "Vodafone Fibre Broadband Superfast 100", absolutely no mention of who the provider is.

I find the lack of information shocking.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding @pablopatito, I thought you were aware of the company you were moving too. As we'll need access to your account to double check and confirm if you're staying with Openreach, or moving to Cityfibre, pop us a message through our social channels and we'll take a closer look.