Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Constant dropouts every single day

tommothomso
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I know this seems to be an ongoing issue for so many people - is it something I just have to put up with? I have been with V for over a year now and, although the speed is excellent, the constant drop-outs are a pain. I bought a new router (TP link) and no change at all. Dropouts are random, maybe 10 times a day, for usually around 2 or 3 minutes. All devices are via ethernet so I know it is not a 'wireless' issue.

The router log shows the PPP failure at the same time as the dropouts - and the service lights on the router go off. 

As I say - I have replaced the V router - which did exctly the same thing.

Any guidance would be welcome. 

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@tommothomso wrote:

I know this seems to be an ongoing issue for so many people - is it something I just have to put up with?

Absolutely not. If they won't help through the normal support routes, raise a complaint.

How to complain | Vodafone

gipjon

@tommothomso wrote:

although the speed is excellent,  Dropouts are random, maybe 10 times a day, for usually around 2 or 3 minutes. All devices are via ethernet so I know it is not a 'wireless' issue.

I am surprised your speed has not dropped, what speed are you getting and what is your SNR margin 

Thanks for your reply - on average speed is 70 down and 20 up - which is what I am supposed to get - the relability of the SPEED is good.

My SNR in 9 down and 14 up (no multiplier) - my attenuation is 9 down and 17 up.

gipjon

looks like your connection has been slowed down to 70MB to give you more signal( SNR9). so the DLM is picking up a fault on your line. A very good line the SNR can go down to 3 . 

Vodafone can check the DLM fault logs as the DLM keeps records 

What is DLM? DLM, or “Dynamic Line Management”, is the BT Wholesale system used to control the speed and stability of Broadband

the bad news is because you are above your minimum guaranteed speed, I very doubt that Vodafone can send an Openreach engineer to check the line 

Jayach

@tommothomso wrote:

My SNR in 9 down and 14 up (no multiplier) - my attenuation is 9 down and 17 up.

The THG3000 doesn't report attenuation as a single figure, so what router are you using?

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @tommothomso! If you haven't already, please pop our Social Media team a message with your username and a link to this thread so you don't need to repeat yourself. The team can happily run some tests to investigate the dropouts you're experiencing

OK - I will do that, thankyou for your reply.