Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Freeview Play and Apple TV4 with Vodafone Home Broadband

gw6ivx
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Does Vodafone Block either MAC addresses or IP addresses of  Apple TV4 or Freeview play? Because twice Ivw had the higher speed broadband from them and o both occasions the internet won't access them but they will on my Macs, iPhone and iPads. I cat think of any other reason because I'm using Virginmedia at the moment and all is ok. Id like to change to Vodafone because I have my mobile contract with them but I daren't if this is happening. Can someone explain? my current internet speed is 200mps but I don't need that much

7 REPLIES 7

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @gw6ivx - I wouldn't imagine so as some of our Vodafone Together plans come with Apple TV 4K. You could double check with our Broadband team, either by giving them a call on:  033 33 041 524 or via Live Chat. They might be able to shed a little more light on why you've had issues previously. 

Thanks 

I had a live chat with someone who said t maybe the settings in the DNS. Apparently he said some TVs had experienced this but he couldn't carry out any tests because. I was no longer using Vodafone for my Broadband, I replied that if they know that certain sets have to have DNS server changed they should either tell the customers this or send an engineer out when BB is installed because if they need to relay any faults back to the engineers back at Vodafone they may potentially do it better than the customer and would be able to be relayed to if any settings need to be altered at the customers house. All he replied was that I didn't have a Vodafone router anymore and was unable to sort the settings out with me. Something as I say that was repeated earlier.

TJ

@gw6ivx a public DNS Server could make a difference 🤔 It's easy to update these in your router settings. It's difficult without you being on Vodafone to try any of these possible fixes. 

I know that it's easy because I port forward all the time with my Rdio Ham hobby. I told them all this but my argument is why didn't they update the DNS first and why did he say the router had to be present when I told him I wasn't on Vodafone for my BB more than once?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless a user hard-sets their own DNS, then the DNS address is set by the DHCP server function of the router at the same time as devices obtain their local IP addresses.  So every time a device re-connects it should be going through this process - unless you've told it not to!

So you if your phone is connected to your (non-VF) home broadband via WiFi, it shouldn't be using the VF DNS servers at those times.  If you still have a VF mobile contract, it will connect to VF DNS servers while you are out and about, but *if my understanding is correct* it's likely that these will actually be different DNS compared to the Broadband ones!

*For other users reading this there is a common misconception that VFs DNS servers are slow - they're not, they're located at the regional data centres, so the query to reply is VERY fast.  It's just a shame about the reliability and that content filtering is not all it could be.  Anyone who is using 3rd party DNS servers, DON'T use two servers from the same source, so say one from Google and one from Cloudflare...

I have not set my own DNS, nor do I have Landline but only a mobile phone,  This is why I suggested to the live chat that an engineer be the best person to come out because any difference in the IP address or DNS server they should know straight away what is causing it and put it right save the customer altering anything and getting it wrong from their end