Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High Latency at Peak Times

jibilah
4: Newbie

I have been having some regular issues in the evening at peak times for approximately 2 weeks, with my Gigafast 500mb service (using the Vodafone Supplied Router).

The issue: high ping fluctations, and packet loss, backed up by running Ping tests in command prompt.

It seems to be happening predominantly in the evenings from around 7pm to around 10:30pm.

I have a Thinkbroadband Monitor on the go, and will post once more data is shown.

Before reaching this point I have done the following:

1. Resarted Router

2. Switched off WiFi, and disconnected all bar a single PC to run Ping command

3. Tried another Ethernet connected machine to run Ping command: same results.

Is anyone experiencing the same issues?

Backstory:

I mainly play games and chat to friends on Discord. I began noticing high latency fluctuations around 2 weeks ago, and friends on the Discord server began to mention I was lagging/breaking up when I was talking.
It has now gotten pretty bad where I am getting kicked out of game servers due to the quality of the connection.

43 REPLIES 43

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all!

I appreciate your ongoing patience with us! Also, I understand how important it is having a stable connection, especially at this current time.

This may sound repetitive due to you already having discussed this with our teams on the phone but I can assure you, if we have detected a fault in the line, we will be working on getting in resolved as soon as possible. If you are on our Gigafast Broadband and would like an update on the work please contact the dedicated team on 08080 034 515, and if you are on Superfast Broadband you can contact us on social media.

Hi Jibilah

Did you receive a further update from the level 1 team to say that the so called issue is now fixed?

I need to run some speed tests to see.

So far it has actually improved from what I can see, so may be good news.

All fixed for you?

Hi Mehul,

Unfortunately it's still the same for me. It seemed to be better than usual last night (4th). It wasn't back to how it was before the issues, but the best it has been for over a month.

Unfortunately today though, it's probably been on par with the worst it's been since the start of all this.

I did get a call yesterday to suggest work had been done, but whatever was done, seems to be short lived!

My speeds are fine (seemingly), but the high latency spike spikes and loss of packets are still the big issue.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's great news @mehul_98 I'm glad to see your speeds have improved.

So we can help get you back up and running @jibilah, pop our Social Media team a message, with a link to your message, Community user name and landline/account number and we'll be happy to take a closer look for you.

@mehul_98 is your connection still fixed?

Mine is still just as bad.

Hi guys sorry I've been quite,

I can confirm my connection was horrendous I consistently need to stop playing at 20:00 and i can only start playing again at 10:30 

This is ridiculous

I'll try a speed test tonight and will let you know.

As far as I'm aware, its been manageable so far but I haven't been watching netflix which is where the usual give away is.

This is getting beyond a joke. It's absolutely unusable, where I cannot use any VOIP and pages are taking ridiculous times to load.

Tomorrow I shall be phoning other providers to see how quickly they can get me connected because I've reached the point where even if it's fixed tomorrow, I don't trust Vodafone to get their act together when there's another fault.

A screen shot of a ping test from seconds ago:

jibilah_0-1605043699804.png

The think broadband graph tells the story pretty nicely aswell:

jibilah_1-1605043807387.png

and to top it off take a look at my speed! Keep in mind I'm on Gigafast (Fibre to the home!) with a 100mbps up/down service! It's laughable. 🤣

jibilah_2-1605043842560.png

Hi,

I've done a speed test today and getting around 450Mbps up and down so all appears to be fairly normal this end.

Sorry, sounds like your case may now be isolated from the issues I was facing.

in fairness, the speeds haven't usually been an issue - it's always been about the latency but today the speed has taken a complete nose dive. But I noticed I was dropping a lot more packets than I have before!