Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Master socket or other sockets

BOGDANSTOICA
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a master socket and a few other sockets throughout my flat. At the moment my router is connected to the master socket but it is pretty far away from where I have my computer setup whereas one other socket is right next to my machine. Is there any way for me to use the secondary socket instead of the master one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Effie

Hey @BOGDANSTOICA Unless it is stated otherwise in your setup instructions, you can plug your router into any of the extension sockets around your home if the master socket is not in an ideal location. If your micro filter has separate ports for the landline and internet cables, you will need to use the micro filter that was supplied with your router in order to plug into a single port extension. 

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

Effie

Hey @BOGDANSTOICA Unless it is stated otherwise in your setup instructions, you can plug your router into any of the extension sockets around your home if the master socket is not in an ideal location. If your micro filter has separate ports for the landline and internet cables, you will need to use the micro filter that was supplied with your router in order to plug into a single port extension. 

And this would not affect my connection and speed in any way?

Anytime you move the router from one location to another you risk impacting your connection and speeds.

We always recommend using the master socket where possible as it gives the fastest and most reliable connection however this doesn't mean you won't be able to achieve the same speeds from one of the extension sockets.

You can plug into the extension socket and then leave the router there for 24 hours to see what kind of speeds and connection you get and if it is any worse, move the router back to the original location. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If your master socket has only a phone outlet and you use a filter, then you could use any of the extension sockets, but I think there may be some degradation. If the master socket has a DSL connection as well as a phone connection, the the extension sockets can't be used for the router as they are pre-filtered.

It only has a telephone line and I had to use a splitter for it. I will give it 24 hours and hopefully it wont degrade

Jayach

I assume the splitter is actually a filter. It should keep the same speed that it connected at, any degradation (from using telephone wiring instead of twisted pair) will be noticeable immediately.

CrimsonLiar

The genuine best option is to try it and see!  Just that one point, using a filtered faceplate on the Master socket only really works if you are then connecting to the master socket.  Where you have multiple extension sockets, you should really be plugging in a filter to each socket!

*Had a flat in a building with a telephone exchange located on the floor below.  We always had a great connection, and NEVER had to use the heating even mid-winter!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

Where you have multiple extension sockets, you should really be plugging in a filter to each socket!

Each used socket. If nothing is connected to the socket (i.e. phone) no filter is required.

gipjon

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

*Had a flat in a building with a telephone exchange located on the floor below.  We always had a great connection, and NEVER had to use the heating even mid-winter!

Not sure I would like to live above an exchange. The Electromagnetic radiation must have been off the charts