Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Occasional dropping out

Danielsrncel
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good evening all, 

I have been with Vodafone for a few years now, the last year or so we have both been working a couple of days at home utilising webex/teams for video conferences etc. 

We have noticed that every now again the calls will drop out or will freeze on 2 independent laptops and we get a message saying Internet issues, then about 20 seconds later it manages to reconnect and we are good to go again. This has been very frustrating. We were getting about 30mbps download and 8mbps upload on the copper network. 

We then decided to pay and upgrade to the fibre 500 package. BT openreach came and installed the fibre line and modem. We now get around 350mbps download and 80 mbps upload. Really impressed. 

However now as we have to have the router in the dining room our office which is other end of the house we are struggling to get perfect signal and occasionally we lose WiFi altogether on the laptops and tablets etc. 

Spoke to Vodafone and they advised getting a plug in tp link extender. We have bought that and set it up and whilst the signal strength is great and speeds are back up to roughly that of the router when nearby, today on a 1 hour call, it dropped out 3 times...

Its so annoying! So my wife then sat in the dining room next to the router and it still done it one time after that.

As its a new line, I am now thinking of buying a new router as what else could it be? I'm hearing a term packet loss??

What routers are better than the Vodafone supplied broadband one? Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help in advance

1 REPLY 1

gipjon
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Is your wifi dropping out or is it just the video call. The next time your video call freeze. Open a new tab and try to log onto a website that you have not logged onto befor. If the website works then its nothing to do with your wifi .and if it's is your wifi

Are you connected via 2g or 5g have you tried to split the wifi so you can manually select 2g or 5g.

Could also be the routing from you to the video server . 

Did openreach or City fibre connect your new Internet  

I would advise reading the first thread here in regards to setting up a third party router https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/How-to-Set-up-a-third-party-router-with-voda...