Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Ripshod wrote:

No streaming problems. Gaming is laggy. Speed tests are showing a big drop again.  

Your previous streaming problems were really weird. At least they haven't come back.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, please don’t think that we’re ignoring you. This is still being investigated from our side. I understand that @Amanda has mentioned this before here. We really do need more examples to add to this case, with only receiving two.

Please can anyone that uses Social Media, that hasn’t contacted us yet, get in touch with my team and include a link to this post. We do understand that this isn’t possible if you don’t use Facebook or Twitter.

Jayach

@htyaH wrote:

Now how do we get this taken seriously? Do you think they're already aware of this final gateway issue or? The Wifi Experts were useless mostly and just waved me off saying 30 ping is more than fine. Not sure what to do besides wait and hope for the best.

The thing is a ping of 30 is fine, for everybody except gamers. Vodafone are a cheap, no frills provider and all people like me care about is the speed. I've got the best possible connection for VDSL (80/20) and FTTP is only a dream for me for a least a couple of years.

Line Quality

Current Rate79998 kbps20000 kbps

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

Sure but I was literally on 5 ping the other day, you know? We can do the whole "it's not so bad bla bla thing", of course...but I think it's quite natural to wonder why your ping has quadrupled no? And I do game & stream as well so this is fairly important. Not to mention before I was on Virgin's copper connection which would now mean it had better ping than this VF Fibre. The whole point of fibre is faster transmission, not just the download/upload speeds.

Jayach

I feel your pain, I really do. I've been here for 2 years and one thing I have learnt is that Vodafone do not have a clue about broadband. They just rely on Openreach and Cityfibre to do the network stuff. 

The low latency is not only crucial for gamers, but it makes a huge difference to remote working especially with remote desktops. I was getting great performance, almost as if I was on the corporate network itself! But now it's sluggish and will also freeze just like the bad old virgin media days. 

16th June:

I was on the better gateway, however, packet losses were being registered along with connections dropping around that time

Gerry_Atric_0-1655902127343.png

17th June:

I end up on the northern gateway and latency jumps up beyond virgin media levels! 

Gerry_Atric_1-1655902203319.png

and today...

Gerry_Atric_2-1655902246102.png

I think we should wait for comment from VF staff. It's clearly not an isolated issue after all and we've already reported it without much luck, and someone else here on Openreach said they have the same issue. I agree, it's therefore related to a VF issue and nothing to do with the line provider.

If VF continue to ignore our complaints virgin media style then the last resort is to report this issue to the IT press, such as The Register, Think Broadband, ISP Review etc.... maybe some wider press coverage will encourage them to take this more seriously? The lack of communication is what I can't tolerate. Be honest and upfront - if there's an issue and it's going to take a week to resolve, fine, I'll wait. But complete silence is not acceptable! If we wanted to pay for rubbish latency we'd have stuck to virgin media! 

Jayach

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

I think we should wait for comment from VF staff.

You will get no reply from Vodafone staff on here, except apologies and "contact our team on social media" (for all the good that will do)

@Jayach wrote:

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

I think we should wait for comment from VF staff.

You will get no reply from Vodafone staff on here, except apologies and "contact our team on social media" (for all the good that will do)

Time to contact the IT press then!