Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast 2 with Openreach FTTP ONT

georgacus
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've switched from a BT FTTP connection to Superfast 2. Currently in a weird situation where my BT connection is still active until the 19th while my Vodafone connection is also active. So at this moment, I have two internet connections to my home.

So when I tried to connect the Vodafone router to the Openreach ONT it doesn't connect to the internet. But when connected to the phone socket, it does.

I'd like to know whether it's possible to utilise the Openreach ONT for my vodafone connection once the BT connection becomes inactive. I've run a speedtest (to the same server) on both connections using ethernet and the pings are worse for the Vodafone connection.

BT (using FTTP, Linksys WRT3200ACM running Openwrt): 7-10ms

Vodafone (using DSL, Vodafone supplied router): 16-20ms

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vodafone Superfast 2 product is based on VDSL2 mode 17A.  That service cannot be delivered over an FTTP connection, it will use your previous phone line connection.

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

GemmaP
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @georgacus 

Did you process the order as a working line takeover? As that would mean the Vodafone Broadband would replace your BT Broadband on the same day.

We'll need you to drop us a message so we can check your account over 😊

I did process it as a takeover, which I thought would replace BT. But apparently it only replaced the BT phone line and any broadband associated with that. My BT broadband was FTTP so it was unaffected by switching the phone line. When I called them up yesterday they confirmed this, so I had to cancel that separately.

Now when it does get cancelled (next week), could I receive my Vodafone broadband through my FTTP connection via the Openreach ONT rather than through the phone line (FTTC)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vodafone Superfast 2 product is based on VDSL2 mode 17A.  That service cannot be delivered over an FTTP connection, it will use your previous phone line connection.

@KeithAlger

Thanks, that answers my question. This is definitely not made clear when browsing for a Vodafone broadband product.

I believe the only places where you can get Vodafone Broadband over an FTTP circuit is where CityFibre are rolling out their fibre network

https://www.cityfibre.com/gigabit-cities/