Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Synology RT2600ac - Vodafone Router - CityFibre - PPPoE

DrJeff
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Had Vodafone 900mb/900mb package installed today via CityFibre.

Wanting to use my own network, consisting of a Synology RT2600ac mesh network.

This router has modem capabilities, so in theory this should work like a breeze, but I've tried various things, including restarts, soft reset etc. but the PPPoE just never seems to connect - despite waiting hours.

I should add - the internet works fine via the Vodafone supplied router.

PPPoE details was provided via live chat - I did confirm at the time if they gave the correct info, and said to me they 'copied and pasted it from the activation portal'.

I've tried the VID or VLAN ID as 911 for CityFibre (second screenshot) as I've read on this Vodafone forum.

Settings screenshot below - is there something I'm missing?

PS: I've also tried with IPv6 disabled, and that did not work either.

NNC-1.jpgNNC-2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got it to work!

If there is anyone out there, anyone at all interested - other than the two screenshots I have shared previously that display all the correct settings, you have to ensure 'Secondary Interface - LAN 1) is disabled - which is another setting further down the same page, but cannot be seen in the screenshot.

You then proceed to the ISP settings on the router, and within VID for LAN 1, put in 911, and on the dropdown for priority underneath, set to 0 (other numbers may also work, but I haven't yet tested).

I am still able to have my 4G backup for failover, but this is done via USB and not via the LAN 1 port.

If anyone ever comes across any issues, please reply to this thread, and as long as this forum sends me an email, notification, I will most certainly try and help with screenshots etc.

So there you have it folks, Synology RT2600ac can be added to the confirmed routers that work with Vodafone Broadband, directly into the ONT. It's a more than capable router, easily coping with my 900/900 speeds with various other threat protection etc enabled.

Thanks to the above posters for their help in troubleshooting.

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

PPPoE login needs to be added to so it reads dsl********@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

911 would be correct if you were with Cityfibre. 

I did add in images which show the details, but they show up as require moderation.

The username which I've added is like: dsl*********@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Thanks for confirming, It is CityFibre

Ripshod

If the vf router works then it looks like there may be a typo somewhere in your PPPoE details. It's so easy to mix '0' and 'O', or 'I'  'l' and '1'.

Get your details again and ask them to copy/paste them. If you're going through their online chat get them to email the transcript. 

Thanks - do you feel all the settings on the router are fine? (the two screenshots)

I am going on live chat again to request the username and password once again.

Ripshod

The images still haven't been moderated yet. I'm sure they're fine from what you've told us.

Here the are same images, uploaded to a third party site, hopefully they don't need moderating too.

Live chat were quick to connect and get the info - seems information given today is the exact same as what was given previously.

Stuck now, if the username/password is correct.

I asked on the livechat for all the information they have for a customer needing to use a third party router, and despite it being through CityFibre, they advised it needs to be a router which is compatible with BT/OpenReach?

That's confusing.

I thought CityFibre had nothing to do with BT/Openreach, and were their own network...

Ripshod

You first image seems to show you've set the vid on LAN2.  You need to connect your ONT (box on the wall) to the blue WAN pot and set the vid in the WAN settings.

Screenshot_2022-08-16-17-16-43-53_f541918c7893c52dbd1ee5d319333948.jpg

I did notice it said lan1 yesterday, which at first seemed strange, but there was no other option for lan1 or wan.

Doing further research online suggested it was normal, due to the failover options the Synolgy has.