Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Websites showing my location as INDIA

User110920
4: Newbie

I have conntacted Vodafone customer support on many occasions regarding this issue. Many websites including Twitter seem to think I am located in India. Origin also prevented me from downloading a game since their IP location tools identified my IP address as being located in India. I cannot use certain apps either as they assume I am not in the UK. Many websites list their prices in Indian rupees. This has been going on for months and still has NOT been solved. 

I was told to send an email to Converged****@vodafone.com with the reference number FLT09621500 yet Vodafone support team can't seem to find it? So for this reason I am forced to post it on your forums to have it sorted out. I have no direct contact number.

19 REPLIES 19

IP address has finally been moved to a different IP address. Sites are recognizing my location correctly has been fixed. However, this issue was brought up in October and it could have been resolved there and then. Instead more than 15 hours have been wasted with extremely poor support read from a script by staff with very little understanding of how the internet works. To add insult I was offered £10 compensation which is absolutely ridiculous. Thank you Vodafone for wasting my time due to your absolute incompetence.

Hi can I ask how this issue was resolved? I am having the same problem and getting nowhere. Trying to explain that the problem is at Vodafone's end and not my device settings is getting me nowhere.

For months I was blocked from all kinds of services because of this problem. Apps on my phone wouldn't work and I couldn't even access certain games on my Origin account. It was resolved after lots and lots of arguing on the phone and threatening to leave.

If you are talking to a low-level support person, they will do nothing. but waste your time with pointless troubleshooting exercises They just repeat back a script denying there is a problem. You may get through to someone who will pretend to fix it which will cause even more frustration. You need to find a way of bypassing all these time wasters and get through to someone at a senior level that actually understands this problem, otherwise, this will only be solved by changing provider. Good luck.

Yip, exactly my experience this morning with trouble shooting time wasting. Thank you for replying, so frustrating.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Vodafone's dedicated complaints team is on 0333 3040 441.

The nuclear option if they don't sort it out is to just say that you are leaving for the specified reasons and that you will refuse to pay any penalty for leaving early as they are the ones in breach of the contract. Again, this is the nuclear option and I only recommend it as a last resort, but this is how I managed to get them to fix it.

Jayach

@User7598 wrote:

Hi can I ask how this issue was resolved? I am having the same problem and getting nowhere. Trying to explain that the problem is at Vodafone's end and not my device settings is getting me nowhere.

The "problem" is not a Vodafone's end, it is with the databases used by the sites. I don't know where they get their info from.

If you reconnect your line you should get a new I.P. and that may cure it.

It is on Vodafone's end because they are using an IP range that used to be registered in India. Basically, the above poster is going to be geoblocked from a lot of services because of this. Vodafone can rectify this by using a different IP range rather than blaming the different servers for not updating their records. 

Also, disconnecting and reconnecting will not fix this. A lot of Vodafone customers probably don't even realize that they have this problem. I only realized I had this problem when EA told me over the phone that they had blocked me from accessing my account because I was in India. Then I realized why I was having so many problems with other services.

Jayach

It's true Vodafone have re-used a number of IP address from their Indian subsidiary. The fact the databases haven't all caught up is not their fault. All ISP's are having problems with the lack of IPv4 addresses and are having to make changes.

Out of interest where does this one put you?  https://infosniper.net/index.php 

@User110920 wrote:

Also, disconnecting and reconnecting will not fix this

With luck you will eventually get an I.P. address that is correct(ish) on the database.