Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Tp link to sg105s, not sure if it's the same one as everyone else has used It has helped because previously my Xbox wasn't connect to the internet at all now just NAT and Toledo. Is it worth resetting the router?

@telf29 should have just bought a new router more expensive yes but no issues and better speeds/coverage than the rubbish Vodafone one

Do you just straight replace the Vodaphone one? What exactly do you need to do to set this up?

I think if I can't get it to work today I will, I don't want to spend to much. Iv seen this TP Link Next Gen WiFi 6 AX1500 would this do the job? Also how easy is it to set up a different router to connect to Vodafone broadband?

@IIISTEVEOIII  yes I just bought a new one and connected directly to the ont.  You need to speak with Vodafone to get your ppoe login details and that's about it use those details in your router options and job is a good un 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@da1e85 wrote:

@telf29 should have just bought a new router more expensive yes but no issues and better speeds/coverage than the rubbish Vodafone one

@da1e85  Don't know exactly what your problem is, but the THG3000 is not a particularly bad router. This Xbox problem is a puzzle, but otherwise it is O.K. for an ISP router. Certainly you could do much better by getting your own, but for most of us it works fine.

Jayach

@telf29 wrote:

Tp link to sg105s, not sure if it's the same one as everyone else has used It has helped because previously my Xbox wasn't connect to the internet at all now just NAT and Toledo. Is it worth resetting the router?

That should have not caused any problems. You can certainly try resetting the router, but I can't see how that will help. When you say your Xbox wasn't connecting to the internet previously, do you means after power save or just generally?

@telf29 wrote:

I think if I can't get it to work today I will, I don't want to spend to much. Iv seen this TP Link Next Gen WiFi 6 AX1500 would this do the job? Also how easy is it to set up a different router to connect to Vodafone broadband?

Are you on FTTP, if so that router should be fine. If you are on FTTC you will need a modem.

However if you are on FTTP, you will lose the phone line.

Just ask Vodafone for your PPPoE credentials. Live chat is the easiest way.  https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Power saving mode has always been on so yes after that but I couldn't do anything even launch games like COD or see my friends list.

FTTC as I'm only getting 45mbps connection so I would need a different type of router. 

Jayach

Yes, you would need one with a VDSL modem included.

As you are only on FTTC, the THG3000 should be fine. People on the higher FTTP speeds are finding it struggles.

I not a gamer, so don't really understand the problems that gamers have with NAT types and the need for the Teredo protocol. but no one else has reported any problems using the switch.

By going via the switch you are still effectively directly connected to the router, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to try a power reset tonight and if that doesn't work il try a full reset. As I haven't done either yet and before I new the link would work I played with some settings.