Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you have been changing some settings, then yes a factory reset would be a good idea.

@Jayach @There's a few problems with it really.

1. It doesn't play well with the Xbox

2. It isn't wifi6

3. If you are a pro subscriber the customisation options are non existant.

4. The range on it even compared to my old sky q router is abysmal with a huge drop off in speeds

Jayach

@da1e85 wrote:

@Jayach @There's a few problems with it really.

1. It doesn't play well with the Xbox Given this thread, that is definitely true.

2. It isn't wifi6 Neither are most ISP routers (including the Sky one)

3. If you are a pro subscriber the customisation options are non existant. There aren't many, even for non-pro users. Not unusual for ISP routers.

4. The range on it even compared to my old sky q router is abysmal with a huge drop off in speeds Personally I find the Wi-Fi strength perfectly adequate. I can use my phone at the end of my 50 ft garden. (although, yes the speed does drop) Perfectly fine all around the house.

But as you said earlier, using your own chosen router is no problem with Vodafone, so any inadequacies are easily overcome.

Just switched to Vodafone Pro 900 today and discovered this ridiculous issue. As mentioned many times above, the same problem exists for me in that the ethernet connection is not recognised. 

Yes, I can connect via WiFi, but this drops from 900mb to 170mb and I am just one room below the router. Incredibly poor range and there is clearly something wrong with the way the route communicates with Xbox. 

I just wish I had the technical know how to give more details. With Virgin Media I had a great wired connection, used a static IP address and forwarded the necessary ports. Everything worked brilliantly. 

What a great introduction to Vodafone this is!

Jayach

If you have read through the whole thread (and I understand why you might not have) you will see the problem can be resolved by using a switch between the Xbox and the router.

I know this will involve extra expense and add an extra box. but presumably you had 2 boxes with Virgin.

Any switch will work, but this one has been mentioned on the thread. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VWB347G/

Thanks for the reply. I've haven't heard of a switch before and didn't need anything addition with my old virgin media router. I will do a bit of research and see if I can get my head around this problem. 

I read a lot of the thread, but did skip quite a few pages later on as it seemed the issue was endemic and everyone was just accepting that Vodafone would not be resolving the problem. 

Thanks again.

Jayach

Apologies, I thought most Virgin users used the Virgin router in "modem mode" and used their own router.

The start of the discovery that a switch will resolve the problem is about here: Xbox Series X wired connection issue - Page 5 - Community home (vodafone.co.uk)

I'm having the same issue, what's the most recent firmware? I'm currently stuck on 19.4.0551-3261103 and the router fails on firmware update.

@GreasySusan wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I've haven't heard of a switch before and didn't need anything addition with my old virgin media router. I will do a bit of research and see if I can get my head around this problem. 

I read a lot of the thread, but did skip quite a few pages later on as it seemed the issue was endemic and everyone was just accepting that Vodafone would not be resolving the problem. 

Thanks again.

Yes I've lost any hope or interest in vodafone ever fixing this issue. Hopefully this is your only problem and not like my max speeds of 50mb download  between 6pm and Midnight every single day with packet loss galore (thinkbroadband bqm backs this up) for the past month. Doesn't matter if I use vodafones router or my own. Clearly a contention issue which can be alleviated by the use of a VPN and routing via London (speed goes back to around 500mb still not the 900/900 I always got day in day out) or other location.

Third line support admit there is a problem and trying to temp move half of us over to a different server (which kind of rings true with speedtest now showing leeds and not manchester) but it is just as bad.

Fingers crossed the proposed upgrade that goes online in the next 8 days sorts it, sorry for going off topic but I guess I am trying to highlight a router is piddly stuff if it gets your xbox working correctly like the rest of us.

ee7ef5e8e120c2ddd53479364ee7493c87aea575.png

I've just bought the switch mentioned in the thread previously to hope this works for me. I'm going to have a play around with all the settings today too and see if I can diagnose any issues with my set up. 

I've also just read the entire thread, which was fun and extremely encouraging. 😂 Its great that there are quite a few technically proficient consumers here to help the less informed like myself. 

Thanks!