Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

428 REPLIES 428

Hey ! I struggle that the team have used a Series X and Vodafone router pulled in. This is the simplest fault to recreate and would expect them to see it instantly. 

@Jayach wrote:

@Vaultman16 wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I saw this fix and was intrigued but I am unsure if I will need 1 box to connect both consoles to or will I need 2 boxes with one console connected in to each box?

No the one switch will suffice, you could connect 4 Xboxes if you wanted. (but I haven't tried it)

I see that the switch has 4 ethernet ports, but if I only buy one switch and I plug two xboxes in to it, will that stop the problem occurring? Or because they are both plugged in to the same switch, will the issue still persist?

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Vaultman16 wrote:
I see that the switch has 4 ethernet ports, but if I only buy one switch and I plug two xboxes in to it, will that stop the problem occurring? Or because they are both plugged in to the same switch, will the issue still persist?

No it should overcome the problem for both the Xbox's.

To be honest I can't see how using a switch is overcoming the problem, it really shouldn't. But hey, if it works.

I also brought a small tplink switch which arrived today. Solved the issue instantly.

Thanks to everyone for the advice given.

I bought the switch that was recommended. I have connected both of our xboxes to it and it is working well through the ethernet connection for both consoles now.

My set up is 2 xboxes connected by ethernet to the tp-link 5 gigabit port switch, which is connected by ethernet to my vodafone router (big grey one).

Teredo error gone and both NAT types open on the xboxes.

I’m getting the same issue with my Series X since moving to Voda from Plusnet. Works fine on wifi, but throught ethernet, not working (I have it on instant on). I have a switch that I’ve just tried and it worked straight away. However now I’m only getting 94Mbps through the switch (I have 500Mb connection). It’s a Netgear GS205 so ports should be up to 1000Mbps. Any ideas? The cables are Cat 5e, so those should do up to 1000Mbps also.

EDIT - ignore the above, faulty cable (or it’s lying about being a 5e). I put another 5e cable in between switch and router and now have a faster speed through the switch than I was through the router.

I'm the same - using two CAT6 cables from the router to the switch and then into the Xbox my speeds are faster than they were when it was connected directly. Ha.

I also changed my DNS to Cloudflare which seems to have helped when gaming online.

I was looking at changing my DNS settings originally (before I found this thread).

I run a DNS benchmark on my PC and it came up as the Vodafone DNS being fastest, followed by Quad9 (9.9.9.9) and then Cloudflare (1.0.0.1). I’ve left as is for now, but handy to know for future.

If anyone else is interested, this article is quite helpful: https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/guide-best-and-fastest-dns-servers-xbox#:~:text=we%20repeat....

I'm surprised the Vodafone one is the fastest for you, when I did a ping test I was getting about 23ms for them and then around 13ms for Cloudflare.

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but when downloading games I get a faster speed using Cloudflare. Almost like Vodafone was capping my download speed at 250-270mbps when I was getting 420-470 on Cloudflare.

You know, I’ll give it a go and change the DNS and see what happens then.  Wouldn’t surprise me if it was the fastest in a benchmark but in practice, not quite so……