Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

409 REPLIES 409

I'll double check it when I get home tonight.  I only wanted to replace the Voda wifi, and the Deco is a stronger signal.  I have wired stuff like my PC and Hive Hub connected to the Voda router, as well as loads of wifi devices connected to the Deco, and they all work fine.  The Xbox, however....

I just set it up exactly as I did when i was using it on my Plusnet router, but I'll check the settings.

Hi, so I've been with Vodafone for years now. Had a series x for a few months with no problems.  Yesterday I got the newest router ( the latest big grey one) and noe I'm having the same issue. Won't worked wired, second it's unplugged works immediately. 

Nothing has changed in my set up except the change from the smaller black router to the newer grey one.

Any help appreciated. 

It is good to know that maybe it is down to the router itself but at this point I don’t think it will get fixed until the Vodaphone tech team investigate this themselves with a Xbox series x which I am doubtful.

All I can suggest is to leave the console in Standby power mode as this seems to hold the wired connection once connected. The drawback to this of course is the fact the console will use more power in this mode (not sure how much more power this uses).

To see if it helps, I'm going to try setting a static IP on the console. It appears to be functioning (at least for the time being). I had to reboot the router because, for some reason, it had started adding a dynamic Port Mapping for my console. This was resolved after the router was reset.

I tried this as well and it didn't seem to help. I also set up a static IP on the router for the Xbox and it worked for a few days and then back to the same problem...

Ended up moving to Pro 2 to get the WiFi 6e kit so hoping I don't hit similar issues.

@Jake91 should have just bought your own router it would have worked out cheaper

@da1e85 I considered it but it's worked out 2 quid more a month for 24 months. So £48 for a 6e router and extender, so as long as it's not complete garbage it's cheaper than anything I'd have been able to buy with 6e (rather than just 6).

It would be good to know if this solves the problem.

Too bad the Series X and S don't support 6E wifi.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@tyetime wrote:

It would be good to know if this solves the problem.

Too bad the Series X and S don't support 6E wifi.

They should work fine, Wi-Fi 6E is fully compatible with Wi-Fi 5, It's been designed that way, nobody would want to ditch all their old hardware.