Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

409 REPLIES 409

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, please can you test the steps from this link (excluding step 4). I understand from reading some of the previous posts, that some of you may have already gone through these.

Please update us when you’ve followed the steps

ZinGeRs
12: Established

Gemma

No disrespect intended here but we have all done these things changed cables changed ports, etc the only way to get a consistent.connection is to (although speed takes a right walloping and not prepared.to.do it) use wi-fi.

The alternative is change to another ISP / router of the later I have my own router giving wireless connection in another room in the house and I can report wired into that the Xbox works fine in both modes which again I think underpins that the Vodafone router is the problem. My problem is the Xbox lives in the same room the Vodafone router is so cannot leave it permanently on my other router in the house well unless I don''t want to use it very often 🤣

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@ZinGeRs wrote:

I have my own router giving wireless connection in another room in the house and I can report wired into that the Xbox works fine in both modes which again I think underpins that the Vodafone router is the problem. 

That is interesting. How is the 2nd router connected to the Vodafone router, and which router is providing the DHCP?

ZinGeRs

Yours is providing the dhcp same way I always had my virginmedia set up too. It is so my.son upstairs got better WiFi coverage and the network ports for his pc, console, etc. Done it for years better than when we used to do ethernet power adapters and a switch, 

Jayach

@ZinGeRs 

I'm not Vodafone, but that's O.K. I know what you mean.😉

So you take a cable from the Vodafone routers LAN port to the second router and connect it where? in the LAN or WAN input? The ports may be labelled differently depending on which router it is.

ZinGeRs

Yes correct

Jayach

@ZinGeRs 

Sorry, perhaps I didn't ask the question correctly. At the additional router you will be connecting into a port. Is that a LAN (Local Area Network) port or the WAN (Wide Area Network) (may be labelled internet) port.

I ask because if it is a LAN port it will be basically working as a switch, if a WAN port it will be working as a router. (unless it's been configured as an AP (Access Point))

ZinGeRs

It is a tenda Ac1200 all IPS and network config is turned off and this acts like a switch with WiFi capability. All ips are allocated by the Vodafone router via other ethernet connection into it

Jayach

That is very interesting then. So, if I understand you correctly, the Xbox fails when connected direct to the Vodafone router, but not when it goes via a switch?

ZinGeRs

Well let's put it this way five full shutdowns and restarts in eco mode and it worked everytime.

If I have eco mode on while connected to direct to the Vodafone router I'm lucky if I can get a connection first time