Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

409 REPLIES 409

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Then that may be a work around whilst you all wait for Vodafone to fix it. (probably isn't going to happen)

Wired switches are pretty cheap (and some of you may already have one hanging about) so just put one behind the Vodafone router and connect into that first before going to the Vodafone LAN port.

If any of the other people with this problem could confirm @ZinGeRs's findings, please let us know. 

And before anyone say,s "I don't see why I should spend money/time trying to resolve this", you don't' just live with the problem or find another way.

ZinGeRs
12: Established
12: Established

Further updates on this (I must be losing it) I never reconnected my samknows white box that I got to monitor my connection when I switched from virgin media to Vodafone. 

Anyone who is familiar with these do background checks on your connection and track your performance with your ISP, but also have a 4 port gig switch built in them too.

Well early testing of the Xbox plugged into there is exhibiting the same behaviour of my other router test tonight in that every full shutdown in eco the machine has then booted up and logged in fine.

Will keep an eye on it over the next few days but even tonight the amount of tests carried out direct to the hub would have had several no connection starts

Sorry mate to be clear is using an ethernet switch separately working for you ? Just checking before I order one. 

Jayach

@Sampyp 

From what @ZinGeRs is saying, the problem doesn't happen if they go through the switch in their Tenda, or if they go through the switch in their SamKnows box. So yes, using a switch seems to be working for them.

Perhaps give it a couple of days to ensure it stays that way, but it is looking like a possible "work around"

Do you have any devices with a switch in them, like an old router, that you could give it a go with first?

Cheers mate. I will take a look ! 

Jayach

If anyone does want to try using a switch, this one looks a good price, at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-LS1005G-Wallmount-Ethernet-Splitter/dp/B07VWB347G

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for keeping the thread updated everyone 👍 

We're continuing to investigate this further, to see how wider of an issue it is and what possible solutions there are, when we have any further updates we'll let you know. 

Yeah the workaround is good for now, if more report that it works but a fix would still be preferable. I dont really want to have another thing drawing power from the mains. One of the main points of this issue is wanting to use energy saving mode. This wasn't an issue before earlier this year so maybe the engineers can look at whatever firmware was pushed to the router around that time? At least the issue has been narrowed down to something to do with the switch/port.

I've just had one of those little switch boxes delivered,.  I'll give it a go this evening.

did you notice it not working from a point this year ? That’s interesting. Must’ve been a firmware pushed around a point that is causing the issue. 

do you remember when ? 
might give us a clue @Gemma