Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Xbox Series X wired connection issue

JosephA12
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, hoping someone could help.

Since switching to Vodaphone I have been experiencing issues with my Xbox connecting to the the network via a wired connection. What I find is sometimes if I restart the Xbox enough, it pics up the wired connection.

What I have tried (on the Xbox):

Reset MAC - same issue

NAT Type set to open which is correct

Did a factory reset of the Xbox - same issueHowever when I connected the Xbox to the Wi-Fi - works fine

What I tried on the router;

Power cycle - same issue

Manually added DNS (8.8.8.8) - same issue

Changed Ethernet cable - same issue

Other devices connected via a Ethernet cable work fine.

At the point I don’t believe this is a Xbox issue but an issue with the router or broadband. Is there something that maybe stopping/making the wired connection intermittent as I’m not sure what else to do.

As I said I had no issues when on Virgin using a wired Ethernet connection.

409 REPLIES 409

ZinGeRs
12: Established

Still appears to be working fine connected direct to my samknows switch. Interested about the comment of it worked earlier in the year. I've only been with Vodafone for broadband since march and always had the no connection issues.

Just by total curiosity sake that I found the switch appears to fix the problem yesterday 

Must've been around feb-march of this year I guess, but the whole of last year it worked fine for me. I've had gigafast 900 up and down since March 2021.

Thanks @spinoir 

@Gemma  would you be able to pass that onto the team ? Hopefully gives them something to work off ! 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@ZinGeRs wrote:

Just by total curiosity sake that I found the switch appears to fix the problem yesterday 

I like to think I had a little help in that.🤣

@Jayach wrote:

@ZinGeRs wrote:

I have my own router giving wireless connection in another room in the house and I can report wired into that the Xbox works fine in both modes which again I think underpins that the Vodafone router is the problem. 

That is interesting. How is the 2nd router connected to the Vodafone router, and which router is providing the DHCP?

ZinGeRs

I'm sure you did 😂, interesting about it never behaved like it last year though. Only been on gigafast 900 up and down since March so does look like it could be a firmware update on the router.

Tried the Xbox again prior to post and again network connection immediately would have definitely had an issue by now with these many starts.

Jayach

@Sampyp wrote:

did you notice it not working from a point this year ? That’s interesting. Must’ve been a firmware pushed around a point that is causing the issue. 

I can't recall a firmware change this year. I've been on 19.4.0551-3261103 for ages.

What do you all have?

The thing is, the firmware is still controlling the access to the router and the net, The fact a switch makes a difference almost makes it sound like a hardware issue.

Surely if it was a hardware issue the switch wouldn't work either? The switch still plugs into the same port you would normally plug the ethernet cable into right?

Looking at my event log on the router this happens around the time that I turn the Xbox off. port 2 is the Xbox:

24.06.2022 11:17:18 system Info [254698.838161] br-lan: port 2(eth1) entered disabled state

If this is supposed to happen when you switch it off it seems like port 2 isn't being woken up when it's powered back on.

Jayach

@spinoir wrote:

Surely if it was a hardware issue the switch wouldn't work either? The switch still plugs into the same port you would normally plug the ethernet cable into right?

That is the conundrum, why is the switch making a difference?

@spinoir wrote:

Looking at my event log on the router this happens around the time that I turn the Xbox off. port 2 is the Xbox:

24.06.2022 11:17:18 system Info [254698.838161] br-lan: port 2(eth1) entered disabled state

If this is supposed to happen when you switch it off it seems like port 2 isn't being woken up when it's powered back on.

You may be right, because the switch doesn't power off, the port may stay enabled.

The only problem is that the same thing probably happens when any device goes into energy-save/sleep/standby, but it appears to only be the Xbox that doesn't come back.

Can confirm that I am using a TP Link port switch out of Argos and it’s working flawlessly now. 

such a strange one ! 

Jayach

@Sampyp wrote:

Can confirm that I am using a TP Link port switch out of Argos and it’s working flawlessly now. 
such a strange one ! 

Hope you're happier about my fascination now. 😏

@Sampyp wrote:

Hey Jayach, not sure why the fascination on saying this isn’t a Vodafone issue ?

Still need to get to the underlying problem though.