cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTP 900 Line Slow Upload (and download)

bounderboy
4: Newbie

After having a FTTC line 80:20 for years with Vodafone and getting pretty much full speed i recentley had chance to switch to Full Fibre which i did and initially chose 100 package.  I was greedy and have moved to 900 package as Upload is important to me with uploading video for business..  

When on 100 package i was getting around 18/19 upload - same as FTTC..  But when I have upgrade to 900 package i am now getting only 12.  It is very strange..  Been through support and asking me to send pictures morning, noon and night and feel I am getting into fobbing off territory.  I am using there standard THG3000 hub.  I am testing using Ethernet..  

The download isn't great either at 300-400 but I am assuming both are linked somehow.  But it is Upload I am most upset with. 

I saw someone on another thread ask for Troute to bbc.com - so did that in case it helps...  Anyone have any ideas.. 

Thanks 

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.***.*1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 * * 8 ms 63.130.172.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 10 ms 6 ms 13 ms 151.101.192.81

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Well I think you have proven that it's a configuration being sent to the THG3000 that is causing the loss of upload speed.

When you get the new router, I suspect it will probably work O.K. as I believe the config file is tied to the serial number of the router. (it seems to work that way on FTTC, may be different on FTTP)

It will be interesting to see the result of using a different THG3000.

View solution in original position

72 REPLIES 72

Jayach

@bounderboy 

Is there any chance you could try with a different router? I assume you are using the THG3000 (or do business broadband customers get something else?)

Even if it were a different THG3000, it would be interesting to see what you would get.

It is a THG3000.  If using another router do I need a username and password with Full Fibre as i am not sure of these details...    Is there any routers that have WAN ports that don;'t have wifi that are reasonable price.. i don't need wifi you see as i have ubiquiti..  

Jayach

Yes you would need your username and password (PPPoE credentials) to use a 3rd party router. They are easy to obtain on home broadband, I don't know if it is any different on business broadband.

I was just thinking if you had an alternative THG3000 I suspect that wouldn't get the same setup file so (if it works at all. and I think it would, but my experience is using them on FTTC) it would be an interesting test.

Perhaps, at this point it is worth seeing what happens after the Openreach visit. (but I suspect they just will say there is nothing wrong with the connection, it's a Vodafone setup problem)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ZWXYXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have this router which i don't use unless i need to ... think it might connect if i get the credentials.. 

Ripshod

Would be good for a test but tbh I think it'll struggle with a speed test on your service. It would certainly not be suitable for day to day use. 

Jayach

Yes it should work, but it's WAN/LAN ports are only 100Mbs, so not sure what it will prove.

If you do want to give it a go, we home users can request our credentials via live chat:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ don't know if it's the same for business.

Well upload is 100mbps and I never get more than 19... So even if i only got 30 out it it would prove something and if i get 18-19 it prob proves it's not the router config.. but something on the network end...  

Thanks guys will try that tomorrow.. sure i can get the credentials easy enough.. 

Yep it made a big difference see below

Ripshod

Big difference yeah. 

At this point I ask is it worth the mental torture perusing this? Is it worth a visit from openreach, who you'd be able to demonstrate this to? Or, is it time to get a new router of your own?

Are you reliant on the digital voice service? 

Yes - but now i have proved it surely they will just fix..  anyway sending new router - this might work as they might have new config .. or it might not and be in same position..  I could buy my own router but seems a little waste of money..