cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTP 900 Line Slow Upload (and download)

bounderboy
4: Newbie

After having a FTTC line 80:20 for years with Vodafone and getting pretty much full speed i recentley had chance to switch to Full Fibre which i did and initially chose 100 package.  I was greedy and have moved to 900 package as Upload is important to me with uploading video for business..  

When on 100 package i was getting around 18/19 upload - same as FTTC..  But when I have upgrade to 900 package i am now getting only 12.  It is very strange..  Been through support and asking me to send pictures morning, noon and night and feel I am getting into fobbing off territory.  I am using there standard THG3000 hub.  I am testing using Ethernet..  

The download isn't great either at 300-400 but I am assuming both are linked somehow.  But it is Upload I am most upset with. 

I saw someone on another thread ask for Troute to bbc.com - so did that in case it helps...  Anyone have any ideas.. 

Thanks 

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.***.*1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms vodafone.broadband [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 * * 8 ms 63.130.172.35
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 10 ms 6 ms 13 ms 151.101.192.81

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Well I think you have proven that it's a configuration being sent to the THG3000 that is causing the loss of upload speed.

When you get the new router, I suspect it will probably work O.K. as I believe the config file is tied to the serial number of the router. (it seems to work that way on FTTC, may be different on FTTP)

It will be interesting to see the result of using a different THG3000.

View solution in original position

72 REPLIES 72

bounderboy

haha - don't know if to laugh or cry...  Well router change proved I know more than they do... Almost 100mb/s up and down on that router.. Obviously hitting bandwidth limit of my spare router but Upload 5 times better on a little router..  

bounderboy_0-1697029829009.png

bounderboy

On to chat now - they asked me to switch back to Vodafone router..  which I thought yeah that is fair enough.  As it might have changed something there end.. however it is back to slow upload..  obviously...

Oh they have asked - how many devices do i have connected to the router.. same questions over and over...!   I can't take this anymore 😞

bounderboy

Sorry to keep adding to this - they have done some more tests and 

So I've completed the testings and as you have confirmed that there is no cap in the third party router and the vodafone supplied router shows half duplex in our testings

Jayach

Well I think you have proven that it's a configuration being sent to the THG3000 that is causing the loss of upload speed.

When you get the new router, I suspect it will probably work O.K. as I believe the config file is tied to the serial number of the router. (it seems to work that way on FTTC, may be different on FTTP)

It will be interesting to see the result of using a different THG3000.

bounderboy

New router arrived.. didn't know it was arriving next day - which all though good did mean that i had to send old router back.  Luckily it was before work and I was able to setup other router temporarily so no downtime.  

New router setup speed test below ..  if you can't see it.. guess what full upload now available.  so wasn't my ethernet cable or ring doorbell or number of devices connected etc.. etc..  

Thanks to both of you @Jayach & @Ripshod for your constant support.  In a world of many problems this was a small one but your support and advice really kept me going.. And Vodafone support needs to really shape up..  This literally wouldn't have been sorted at all without me doing all leg work and persisting..  

bounderboy_0-1697115865417.png

Jayach

Good news. Let's hope they don't decide to tie whatever config they were sending to the previous router to this one. 🤞

bounderboy

I wonder if because my old router was probably 5 years old and tied to a previous VDSL2 connection.  The router doesn't seem any newer or different spec - but hopefully inwards are a little specced up.  However defo was their problem and I know they will say the router - it has been up and running last four hours - so don't see another config coming now.....  

Jayach

I very much doubt there have been any changes to the THG3000 over the years. (apart from firmware obviously)

bounderboy

Not sure if this adds anything but here is TRACErt

Tracing route to bbc.com [151.101.0.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms VODAFONE [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 4 ms 4 ms host-212-158-250-39.dslgb.com [212.158.250.39]
3 * 4 ms * 63.130.172.35
4 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 90.255.251.117
5 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 151.101.0.81

Trace complete.

Ripshod

Absolutely perfect traceroute. Notice the change to bbc.com's IP? That's geolocation in action - you're being sent to your closest bbc server. 4ms. What I would give for that ping.