Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R219h being really slow and unreliable recently

BenDixon_22
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello, I've had the R219h for just over 9 months now and it is normally reliable and fine for playing games, doing remote work or streaming services, but this past month has been really unreliable and super slow connection speeds. Area code BS22. We do live in a remote place but if I use 4G on my phone I get at least 20Mbps download with a low ping, which is a lot better than what I currently get on the R219h and it costs more a month than my broadband when I was at university in a city getting fibre speeds. As it is currently getting webpages to load is a struggle. I have this purely for my PC and am the only one on the network and having done a speed test at the time of writing this the results are shown in the image below. Upload is almost at normal but the download is worse than a copper wire connection. Maybe somethings faulty in the device but can I get some support with this as it is unusable in this state.

BenDixon_22_0-1663620066378.png

Thank you,

Ben Dixon 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you are only getting 3Mbs over copper, you must be a long way from the cabinet.

Try putting your number in this link to see what Openreach think your line should be capable of.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

If you are getting 20Mbs on your phone, (and you are the only one using the broadband) would it not be worth getting more data on your phone and use it as a hotspot?

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach

Unfortunately, although this is the broadband forum, you are unlikely to get anyone skilled in mobile broadband.

Can you not get wired/fibre broadband where you are?

That's annoying I wasn't sure where else to go the people in the store are even less likely same with over the phone support. We have wired but its through copper cable because its kind of in the middle of nowhere near coast and mostly elderly people who aren't interested in having the infrastructure upgraded. With sky or bt through that we get about 3Mbps down, pings low but not stable so not really an option for anything other than basic web browsing. Think its still a few years before truespeed or anyone similar come and actually fit fibre sadly

Jayach

If you are only getting 3Mbs over copper, you must be a long way from the cabinet.

Try putting your number in this link to see what Openreach think your line should be capable of.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

If you are getting 20Mbs on your phone, (and you are the only one using the broadband) would it not be worth getting more data on your phone and use it as a hotspot?

When it was working as intended the vodafone MiFi was matching my phone speeds, so ideally if it could get back to that it would be perfect, or at least as good as it gets in the area. Otherwise yeah I will try my phone see if I can get more data on it, have the unlimited sim for the MiFi currently which is again nice something similar will exist for my phone if I need it though I'm sure. I put the address into the link and these were the results

   

broadbandtest2.png

broadbandtest1.png

  

Jayach

@BenDixon_22 wrote:

When it was working as intended the vodafone MiFi was matching my phone speeds, so ideally if it could get back to that it would be perfect, or at least as good as it gets in the area.

  

It's possible the Vodafone MiFi is failing, there are many different suppliers of those kind of devices, probably cheaper and better that the Vodafone one.

Your pictures haven't been moderated yet, it will be interesting to see what they say.