Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow and unreliable broadband in the evening

Cliveawalsh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've seen some posts about this , but they seem to suggest it's been fixed. Been with Vodafone since October and finding now that the speeds and reliability are poor in the evenings. Watching off iplayer and it will suddenly stop and pause for around a minute, several times. Really annoying. It's fine in the day. I've jumped through some hoops already, like changing from my own tplink router to the Vodafone one, made no difference. Also the tv is connected to the router direct with Ethernet cable and the tech person said to change the WiFi channel. When I explained that I didn't see how the WiFi channel would effect the wired connect she ignored it and insisted I change the channel of WiFi. Anyway. It's still happening. When I do a speed test while it's happening it can be anything from 1 to 15 mbps when it's usually around 35 to 40. Any help or advice?  I think it's due to more people using the internet but not sure. It's jumpy tv when using iplayer or itv hub, or Plex built in to the tv, but if I chromecast plex it seem ok which is odd. Help please

137 REPLIES 137

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

.@GJ_DAN

VF measure Sync Speed and not experienced speed. The two are not the same and widely differ. My sync speed is 60.4Mbps and yet I frequently experience less than 10 ☹️ 

Some VF explanation on the subject.

https://newscentre.vodafone.co.uk/smart-living/demystifying-broadband-speed-understanding-sync-throu...

Some alternative points of view from customers.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/2619260

Yep, just another way to try get out of their poor service. Well, I'll give them 14days to try sort it, and then I'll give them notice I'm leaving. Luckily we have the right to cancel now if not getting the service advertised. I'll keep all my speedtests and conservations as proof as no doubt they try make me pay remainder of the contract if it comes to that. 

You need to make an official complaint and wait for the outcome of that before just leaving.

Oh yeah of course. Thank you. I'll make sure I'll do it all properly. 

So reading about Sync speed, they do try to pass the book a bit don't they by the looks of it?! I could get a VPN but I really shouldn't have to. 

Anyone else managed to leave ok with quite a bit left on their contract? 

My internet suddenly corrected itself just before I was due to move to BT.

It now runs at over 60mbps even on an evening.

I spoke to someone after raising an official complaint and they said they couldn't see any issue and put it down to congestion.

As BT were £10 a month more and with a price rise looming, I decided to stay put with VF as it appeared to have righted itself. For my troubles they gave me a free month. They said if I have anymore issues the complaint can be reopened. Anymore issues and I'll leave for sure.

Many people on social media in the village I live in were complaining of issues with Sky Broadband at the same time I had my issues apparently. There's been lots of Openreach vans at the cabinets as well. Not sure if it's related but, touch wood my connection is rock solid at the moment. I did a speed test last night while the wife was streaming Netflix and it was still over 40mbps. 

That's good to hear, glad it managed to get rectified for you. My speed went poor and then went ok. Responsiveness was then poor and I changed the DNS settings which sorted that. Now I'm back to poor speed again. I'd rather be paying an extra tenner to BT now for better service. Maybe I'll get fortunate and get it fixed though this forum is full of complaints about poor speed at peak times. 😕

I agree. If it returns I'll not hesitate in leaving.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@markegilmour OK, thanks for confirming all of that for us. As the first 10 days have passed, we'll need to take a closer look and run further tests on your line so we can help with improving your speeds.

So we can get started, please drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter. If you include your username and link to your posts, you won't need to write your query out again - you'll be speaking with the same team as here, it just means we'll be able to securely take your details in a private message from either channel linked 👍

Hi, I would like to add my issue too.

I have a sync speed of 79.9 with a download speed of anything form 73 to 75meg and an upload of 17 meg on both cabled and Wifi.

When i started having problems my speed dropped to 2,7meg in the evening. I called tech support but all I got was excuses, blaming everything from my equipment, cabling etc which I knew not to be the case as I had already swapped router, cables and connected into the test socket.

The following morning everything was back to normal and tech support told me that openreach had been working on the line. BS

That night , the same thing happened again so they wanted evidence to show the drop, which I provided. was promised a call back which never took place. They couldn't open the jpeg file so I had to wait another 24 hours

Eventually they managed to open the file that showed the drop and also results from the previous year showing the original speed. It was then put up to third tier

After 3-4 weeks of getting nowhere, and loads of phone calls they told me that the jpeg i sent was not acceptable because it didn't show whether or not i had disconnected wifi and other devices. Yet the picture clearly showed results over a year not having any variation until dropping to 2.7 meg.

Another couple of weeks passed without any progress when decided to make a formal complaint. I filled in the online form and waited and waited with no phone call or follow-up so i then called in again to complaints after raising another online complaint form. They said to close the complaint I could terminate the contract with 30 days notice which I did.

Further testing on speedtest.net shows that I get maximum speed in the evening when testing the Vodafone servers but the speed drops like a stone when testing servers outside of Vodafone's network, this is why these so called tech support always say the speed is fine and it must be your equipment.

I cant believe how bad this experience has been, but I am moving on Friday to BT with only having been with Vodafone for 10 month.

Good riddance Vodafone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also having issues after having been with Vodafone for around 6 weeks now. I'm in the Manchester area. 

Always seems to be at night. I've tried everything but the Vodafone app tells me nothing is wrong.

Connecting to websites take an age and sometimes they don't even load.

Got to say that I'm disappointed with this service so far.