Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow and unreliable broadband in the evening

Cliveawalsh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I've seen some posts about this , but they seem to suggest it's been fixed. Been with Vodafone since October and finding now that the speeds and reliability are poor in the evenings. Watching off iplayer and it will suddenly stop and pause for around a minute, several times. Really annoying. It's fine in the day. I've jumped through some hoops already, like changing from my own tplink router to the Vodafone one, made no difference. Also the tv is connected to the router direct with Ethernet cable and the tech person said to change the WiFi channel. When I explained that I didn't see how the WiFi channel would effect the wired connect she ignored it and insisted I change the channel of WiFi. Anyway. It's still happening. When I do a speed test while it's happening it can be anything from 1 to 15 mbps when it's usually around 35 to 40. Any help or advice?  I think it's due to more people using the internet but not sure. It's jumpy tv when using iplayer or itv hub, or Plex built in to the tv, but if I chromecast plex it seem ok which is odd. Help please

137 REPLIES 137

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

When you say your speed drops dramatically at night @bgregor and @Anonymous, are you referring to your download/upload speeds, or your sync speed? 

If it's your download/upload speeds, to help us understand what's causing this, please confirm:

- If your router's connected to the master socket.

- If you're using a Wi-Fi connection and do you have any other devices connected.

- Are you in the first 14 days of your contract.

- Is the router next to any electrical equipment that might interfere with the signal i.e. Microwave, TV or fish tank.

-  Can you run a speed test through the Vodafone App or on http://www.speedtest.net/ and post the result here.

If you're referring to your sync speeds, we'll need to take a look into this. Pop us a message via our Social Channels and we'll be happy to help 😊

Hi MArk,

I am referring to my download speed. As i said in my message I am connected to the master /test socket and in fact have been connected to the test socket since this issue started.

I am 10 months into my contact.

Router is not next to any other equipment.

Having other equipment connected has no effect on my speeds, I get the same result with all equipment connected or only one computer connected through cable.

I had no issues for 7 months,  download speed always 72 minimum and likewise the same when i was with BT, never changed no matter what time of day I did the test.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for that @bgregor 👍 One more question (I forgot to ask before), I know you mentioned this happens in the evening, but does it start dropping and recover at around the same times each night? 

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

We had 40 pages of discussion about throttling here

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Internet-speed/100-Proof-of-throttling-twitch-iptv-etc/td-p/2619260/...

and we're still experiencing issues. Isn't it time to stop suggesting this or that "fix" and just admit that the amount of wholesale capacity negotiated with Open Reach is less than that sold to Joe Public and as a consequence there is a drop in performance at busy periods?

yes it starts slowing down around tea time and it starts to pick up 11 ish.

Did you not see my original post re speed checks.

When testing vodafone servers the speed is ok but when testing other servers the speed drops like a stone.

I have uploaded a screen shot showing speeds, why isn't it up yet?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

We moderate all images posted @bgregor, to ensure no personal data has been shared. I've checked all the images posted in the last week and I'm unable to see any unapproved images from yourself. When did you post the screenshots?

With my original yesterday and again today.

I have attached to this post also.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And it's doing the same tonight. It takes an age to load a webpage and sometimes it doesn't load at all. Also just had my football streaming app crash. Started getting slow again just before 8pm. Why did this not happen when I was with NOW TV BB? That was with supposed slower speeds as well.

All speed tests suggest there is no problem. Router is connected to the master socket and I'm used a wired connection. I'm around 6 weeks into my contract. 

Ping 4ms

DL 52.89mbps

UL 14.01mbps

It seems to have improved in the last few minutes. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah, still having various issues.

Despite speed tests being fine, I still have problems when first connecting to a website. There's seems to be an initial delay connecting before the website either loads or doesn't load. 

Foz1902,

If you are using speed test.net try both a Vodafone server and another server. You will probably see a big difference in download speed.

bgregor.