Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Simple guide to connecting a phone to FTTP please

Gorilla68
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm a new customer of Vodafone fibre (FTTP) and have a Wifi Hub. During the upgrade I asked to retain my old landline phone number.

I'm struggling to understand what phones can be plugged into the Wifi Hub. I note there are ports on the back of the Hub marked TEL1 and TEL2. I have purchased a converter to plug into the TEL1 port that then allows me to plug an "old" UK type phone into the converter. I've tried various (old) phones but none can get a dial tone.

Does the phone being plugged in have to be a VOIP phone? Or does the Wifi Hub handle the necessary conversion from non VOIP phone to the Vodafone network? i.e. does the Wifi Hub include a VOIP adaptor?

As I've never had the phone working since my FTTP upgrade I'm not certain that the phone line setup was done correctly so might be be being confused by a non working line. Is there a way I can check this without having a phone that has a dial tone?

Thanks for any assistance - currently pretty confused!

45 REPLIES 45

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Btgraphite wrote:

Were do you see web management interface (192.168.1.1) shows connections to the phone from the "Overview" tab.

because on my dashboard i found a number similar but not the same if you know what I mean 

I'm not sure @Gorilla68 will be aware of your query, as they haven't posted on the forum in over 2 years, but I don't know what you mean. Could you explain it a bit more?

Also could you answer the questions we have asked.:Winking_smiley:

Ripshod

It's this dumb threading throwing the member off I think. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

It's this dumb threading throwing the member off I think. 

Probably, I'm so glad I turned it off.

Vodafone.pngIf I connect to 192,.168.1.1 in a web browser (and then login with my router password) I get the above display. This shows an entry under the Phone. The numbers on the entries don't mean anything useful to me (it isn't my phone number for instance) but, when the phone wasn't working nothing appeared there.

Your display may differ from mine if you've got a different kind of router.

My best learning from my experience was that, if the phone light on the router is not lit (white) then there is a problem at Vodafone's end. The light is fairly faint - I just had to clear all the dust off it to see it!

Good luck

We have just signed up to Vodafone Essentials fibre 1 . We have a relatively modern Digital BT Graphite 2500 Trio Landline phone that will not work with Vodafone Voice through the Router, No Line on the phone screen.

We phoned Vodafone helpline and was told that their system is not compatible with BT phones.

I find this incredible as from 2025 all phones will have togo through broadband routers. There will be millions of phones that will not work.

Ripshod

You'll likely need one of these adapters

Amazon UK linky

But before you buy that is the red "Phone" light lit on the router? 

The router cam with an adapter lead

Jayach

@Btgraphite wrote:

We have a relatively modern Digital BT Graphite 2500 Trio Landline phone that will not work with Vodafone Voice through the Router, No Line on the phone screen.

How were you connecting the BT phone base to the router?

As per the Vodafone instructions green tel1 port through the white adapter provided into the base unit. Nit sure all the plug names 

Ripshod

The phone service needs reprovisioning. There's a good chance the settings are stuck somewhere in the system so resetting the router with the hole at the back may force that reprovisioning. If that doesn't work you'll need to contact vodafone again.