cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrade to fibre cancelled my default landline phone number conceal - how do I reactivate it?

ojos
4: Newbie

I have had Vodafone broadband for several years. This includes a landline phone for making & receiving calls. As a feature on my landline by default I concealed my number when making outgoing calls. A few weeks ago my broadband was upgraded to fibre. This meant I lost access to my cabled landline phones I am now having to attach my landline phone directly to router.

However, since this change, my landline number is now shown on outgoing calls. How can I reactivate the default number conceal on my outgoing calls?

19 REPLIES 19

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

There are no call features available on digital voice.

Does 141 work at all? 

I have had a landline phone for many decades with different providers. In all cases (until the recent fibre upgrade) I contacted my provider and requested they set my number to conceal by default for all outgoing calls. I have never before had to dial a prefix like 141 (or whatever) to conceal. On my telephone I have a very large list of numbers stored. If I am forced to prefix them by 141 I can no longer used my saved numbers to make calls.

This is what BT says about default concealing number:
https://www.bt.com/help/landline/calling-features-and-security/how-do-i-withhold-my-telephone-number...

Vodafone has done it before and BT clearly states on their website that they can do it, so surely Vodafone can arrange that too?

Jayach

At the moment, Vodafone's implementation of digital voice (VoIP) seems totally devoid of options.

I  suspect that will change in the future.

Just how much does the lack of the ability to conceal your number, affect you?

Personally, if I get a call from a withheld number, I simply do not answer it. Only scammers would withhold their number in my opinion. (although the scammers are now spoofing their number, so even a seemingly genuine number, I treat with suspicion)

Cynric

@Jayach  GP surgeries often withhold their number.

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

@Jayach  GP surgeries often withhold their number.

How odd, why would they do that? Mine certainly doesn't.

Cynric

@Jayach  For starters the surgery has a publicly advertised number for incoming calls, but outgoing ones originate from a second line. To prevent blocking both lines the outgoing one is hidden. They could set the second one to have the ID of the first, but their pabx probably doesn't do that.

Ripshod

Mines the same. I thought they all do that. Some hospitals too. 

Cynric

@Ripshod  There's even been items about it in the BMJ. Opinions supporting both sides of the discussion.

@Jayach wrote:

At the moment, Vodafone's implementation of digital voice (VoIP) seems totally devoid of options.

I  suspect that will change in the future.

Just how much does the lack of the ability to conceal your number, affect you?

I have withheld my landline number for over 40 years with both BT and now Vodafone. It has worked fine all these years and caused no problems at all. Earlier in this discussion  Ripshod said:

"There are no call features available on digital voice."

and I have no idea what this means. Could someone please explain the "Digital Voice" terminology since I just have a "landline" which is the terminology I use when I make a call from my landline phone?
UPDATE: Today I called Vodafone and said I wished to have a permanent Withhold on my landline number when making outgoing calls (as I have had for many years). The staff member went away to speak to an expert and came back later confirming that Withhold has now been set on my landline number. They tell me it will take up to 24 hours for that to come into effect. If so, why do others in this discussion keep claiming that it cannot be done? No mention of "Digital Voice" was made at any time during my call today with Vodafone. We just talked about my "Landline".

I'll check the situation tomorrow and hope the Withhold works in accordance with what Vodafone staff told me today.