cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Topping up a preloaded 90 Day 15GB Data Only SIM?

Nimbus1
4: Newbie

Hello

I have a preloaded 90 Day, 15GB, data only SIM purchased from Argos. The 90 Day period ends in 17 days (My Vodafone account says it ‘resets in 17 days). The SIM still has 12GB of data left on it.

I have tried to find out how I can top-up the SIM through the My Vodafone account. When I enter the SIM phone number into the top-up form, it gives me £ values which I can then select – from £10 up to £50, in £5 increments, which I assume is for the ‘data GB’ value.

My question is - how can I also top-up the 90 day expiry period to another 90 days or a longer period e.g. 12 months, as the SIM still has 12GB of data left on it to use?

Many thanks

11 REPLIES 11

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Yes @Nimbus1 , it's a complicated one for sure, the best I was able to find from the website is this link Data Only SIMs you don't want a replacement SIM and not quite what you are looking for but may give an indication of the data pack you can expect for your money.

To add credit continue as you have already done following this link to top up your mobile broadband Mobile Broadband top up 

When the data pack has been added it will be valid for 90 days or when the allowance has been used whichever comes sooner.

If you have any issues, return to the Community and someone from Vodafone will be able to guide you through adding a data pack.  Alternatively, there are always the helpful Customer Services or Live Chat channels.

Thanks AnnS

So, If I understand correctly from what you have said, I can top-up up both the data and the days, but the days can only be increased for another 90 days.

As an alternative option, I may simply just purchase another brand new data only SIM (24 Months, 24GB) for £45. Do you know if I can then add this new data SIM to my existing My Vodafone account or will I need to create a brand new additional My Vodafone account for this new SIM?

Thanks again

AnnS

Unfortunately @Nimbus1 , you will need a separate account for the new number and you will need alternative log in details.  If you want to use the same email address change the original account details before setting up the account.

Thanks AnnS I’ll probably purchase a new 24 Month, 24GB data-only SIM from Vodafone and create a new My Vodafone account with a new email address. Thanks again

Hello All

I ordered a free ‘I just want a free Data SIM’ from the ‘Data-only SIMs’ Vodafone web page https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/check-out-data

I received the free data SIM and have now registered it on My Vodafone. I have also added a £45 top-up credit. My Vodafone shows the mobile number as ‘Mobile Broadband’ which is correct, for this SIM.

However, what I cannot figure out is how to use this £45 credit to purchase the actual Data-only SIM package I want:  (£45, 24GB, 24 Months Data-only SIM package), shown on this page https://freesim.vodafone.co.uk/check-out-data

I have looked everywhere in the My Vodafone pages and cannot see anywhere how to do this. Does tech support need to do this on my behalf?

Many thanks.

AnnS

@Nimbus1 

When I go to this page Data SIMs I see the SIM's as you describe, if I select the one you mention I am invited to enter my details and pay by card for the 24 month inclusive data package, if I select not now I just want a free SIM, I am able to top up with credit and convert the credit to a data pack by following this link : Topping up Mobile Broadband .  The problem is you may not get the 24 months validity as you would have wanted.

I hope I have read this correctly.   You will need to return the SIM and get the credit refunded back to your card reorder and select the SIM that comes preloaded with data.

Live chat should be able to assist with this, if you use social media there is help from the Social Team by following this link : Contact Us 

Hi AnnS

That is most disappointing that you cannot order a blank data-only SIM and you are then unable to add a data-only plan/pack to it based on time and GB, later on.

On the Vodafone site it gives the option below:

Buy a data pack with credit

If you have existing credit on your Mobile Broadband account, you can buy a data pack by logging into My Vodafone.

Once logged in:

1. Choose 'Top up now'

2. Confirm your Mobile Broadband number

3. Choose the data pack you'd like

4. When prompted, choose to pay using your credit balance

But once again you are not able to follow the above steps ether from with the My Vodafone site pages.

Very strange...

AnnS

It sounds like the new SIM has not been activated @Nimbus1.  Data SIM's usually activate when they make a connection to the internet, although you wouldn't be able to access any content, you should still be able to make a connection to the internet sufficient to activate the SIM and purchase a data pack with the credit.

Follow the FAQ's here Getting started with mobile broadband Further support from device guides here: Device Guides 

Hi AnnS

As far as I can see, the SIM is connected to the Vodafone network OK, but how can I tell if the SIM's made a connection to the internet, without being able to access any content?

Are you able to show me a screenshot of exactly how I should still be able to make a connection to the internet sufficient to activate the SIM and purchase a data pack with the credit?

On the Vodafone site it gives directions to:

1. Choose 'Top up now'
  2. Confirm your Mobile Broadband number
  3. Choose the data pack you'd like
  4. When prompted, choose to pay using your credit balance

When I am in My Vodafone, I cannot see a choice called ‘Top up now’ as mine says ‘Top up your credit’, which I have already done to the value of £45.

If I click on ‘Top up your credit’ it takes me back to the same form that I filled in to purchase credit. It does not give me an option to: Choose the data pack I’d like and then choose to pay using my credit balance.

I’m I truly missing something so obvious here?

Thanks