cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How can I get a booster mast installed locally to improve signal? Half my village is off network.

Seaside12
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My house is in a seaside village in Devon.  We are shadowed from the main mast by a hill.  Who can I speak to to help get something installed locally to improve signal for both voice and 4/5G?  We don't have decent broadband from OpenReach either so are in desperate need of help.

15 REPLIES 15

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @Seaside12 - I understand how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now. Have you checked your postcode on our Network Status Checker?

Could you also complete our initial network checks so we can look into this further for you please?

Post Title: 'First half of post code - Area' e.g. ST1 – Stoke-on-Trent

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

you need to walk to top of hill to get signal.  this is about a quarter of a mile.  when driving signal is first picked up about a mile up the road.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

Added to profile

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

yes, this is not phone specific

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

very limited coverage and when one does pick up a faint signal it can disappear. 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

all

6) When did you first notice this issue?

when i first moved to the village in 2016

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

permanent

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for confirming your full postcode @Seaside12, I've checked your local coverage and I can see we only offer a limited 2/3G service in your area. Our 4G network is a little stronger and we do guarantee strong connection while outdoors. We're always looking to improve our network and as soon as the opportunity to increase the service in your area is open to us, I'm sure we'll take this. You can keep up to date with planned improvements in your area through our Network Status Checker. To help keep you connected you can also add WiFi Calling to your services free of charge, this will allow you to make/receive calls and send/receive text messages whenever you have a WiFi connection.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me.  The "guaranteed" 4G connection outdoors doesn't work I'm afraid.  We have a large balcony and decent sized garden and I have tried walking round both to get a signal.  Occasionally i can get a single bar but it is far from adequate for a call and often doesn't last.  Can you please tell me who I need to speak to in order to propose improvements and to offer my local assistance?  As you can see from my messages we have had poor coverage for 5 years and I'd like to improve it as soon as possible rather than just waiting on the off chance that it comes up on your plans.  I would like to see some positive action.  Who makes decisions on this?  Thanks  

Further to my message below I note you offer Wifi assist.  As I pointed out we have very poor broadband too so  this isn't really any help.  This is why I'm so desperate for you to extend your network to cover my side of the hill.  I understand that it is possible for you to put a booster mast somewhere to reflect the signal into our valley.  

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear our WiFi Calling service isn't available to you @Seaside12, As I advised in my previous message, we're always looking to improve our award winning network and take any opportunity to do this. I can see you advised adding new hardware to help increase your local service, to do this, not only would we need land owners willing to sell or lease the space to enable us to do this, we'd also need permissions of the local council and support of the community too. We can forward your postcode and coverage details onto the team responsible for planning improvements to our network and they'll be able to review this and investigate any options available to us. Pop us a message through one of our social channels and one of our Network experts will be happy to help.

For your information it is pretty galling for you to be telling someone with a poor network connection that your network is "award winning".  It is not very helpful and does not convince me.  I will contact your network team to see what can be done.  There is a build out of radio broadband going on locally which has achieved all the necessary permissions and found sites so i'd be surprised if a company as big as Vodafone can't at least match that access.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

If we can gain access to land in locations to best serve our customers @Seaside12, I'm sure it's something we'll follow up. 

It would be good if you could tell me who is going to follow up rather than just saying "i'm sure it is something we'll follow up".  if you are sure please give me the name and tell me when they will  be doing it.

For your information I've raised this issue with your CEO Ahmed Essam, so will highlight your further help to him.