Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network Issues - Poor Coverage

dannymarkreid
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Post Title: GL54 - Bourton-on-the-Water.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service? Service is consistently very poor (both devices reporting ~-110dBm 22asu consistently indoors for 4G) Coverage Checker suggests service indoors at this location should be Good.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here. GL54 2RS.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone? Yes, swapped between devices (S21 5G & Pixel 2).

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs? Inability to make calls / call drops / poor call quality. 4G/3G internet not functional.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

3G when selected achieves ~100dBm 20asu strength, so very slightly improved over 4G.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Signal strength appears to have degraded over the last 12 - 18 months.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent - independent of time of day.

3 REPLIES 3

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've checked our network at the postcode provided @dannymarkreid and we've no issues in your area at this time, the mast serving you (1899), is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages.

Do you experience this issue in any other locations? If so, can you provide the full postcode for these areas.

I can see you've mentioned this issue affects other phones when you pop your SIM in. This can indicate the problem you're experiencing is connected to your SIM. If you pop into your local Vodafone store, or message us through our social channels, we'll be more than happy to provide you with a replacement SIM and help you register this to your number. This will allow us to eliminate this from our investigations and find the cause of your issues you're experiencing.

Hello @Mark,

Apologies for the slow response - really appreciate your input on this.

I believe the original information may have been somewhat misleading - I'll explain further.

In terms of the issue moving with the SIM card, yes it does - however... I have 2 SIMs with yourselves, Pay Monthly in my Samsung S21 5G, and a PAYG in my Google Pixel 2 - admittedly both SIMs aren't particularly young.

Both devices however report approximately the same signal strength (looking via Sim Status) - makes me think that the SIM is less likely to be the cause?

Either way, more than happy to get hold of a new SIM for the Pay Monthly as a first port of call, being that it's a fairly easy first step to take.

It's notable that the signal locally is generally very poor, compared to how it used to be, and what is reported on the Coverage Checker.

I'm wondering if there could be something locally that is impacting the 4G signal strength, that isn't being reflected in the Coverage Checker? Admittedly, I don't know how the strength of signal in the Coverage Checker is derived.

Please let me know if you have any further thoughts on my issue, and if there are any other steps I should look to take.

Cheers,

Danny

If changing your SIM's doesn't rectify your issues @dannymarkreid, we'd need to take a closer look into this for you. Part of this would involve tracing any failed calls or poor data connections. So we can do this securely, please pop us a private message through one of our social channels and we'll be happy to help and see if we can get to the bottom of what could be causing these problems.