Ask

Solution

Phone not working in Portugal

MrNick
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi There

Arrived in Madeira last night. 

Can receive texts, but cannot make outgoing calls and most importantly no data. 

Roaming is on in the phone and on my Vodafone account (I logged. in. last night),I. have used 4g out of 15g of data. 

The Vodafonee website has been down all morning and obviously I cannot call. 191. 

I'm currently stuck in my hotel as I need my phone for sat nav. Quite infuriating tbh. 

I have tried, hard-rebooting phone, re-setting network. 

No joy. 

Anyway I can get some assistance here? 

Thanks, 

Nick 

8 REPLIES 8

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

At a guess you are pay monthly.

Check out this link: Charge Checker if you are not on an inclusive plan and taken out a roaming pass, check you don't have spend checker set to 0, this would prevent you incurring any extra charges.

Other than that, you should have received a text when arriving welcoming you to the country and notifying you of charges.  Try doing a manual roam and selecting Vodafone Portugal from the list of available networks.

If you have an unlocked phone, there is always the option of a local Vodafone Portugal SIM.

Thanks.

Yes, SIM only paid monthly. 

There is no spend limit set. There are no bars set for roaming/overseas calling etc. 

I've got literally no way to contact Vodafone. 

Can't call out even to 191.

And Tobi is off-line, but I can now log into my account again. 

I doubt my phone is unlocked, it was purchased from Vodafone. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MrNick - thanks for reaching out to us and the checks you’ve already done. We understand how important it is to always have a working phone.

I know you’ve mentioned the roaming is switched on. Which model phone are you using? Do you know what’s happening when anyone calls your number?

We can check your account from our side, please come and talk to us through Social Media.

Iphone XR. 

Roaming is enabled on the phone. 

The data is set to automatic, but I've tried manual Vodafone P and the other two local networks. 

If I try to make a call it just beeps twice and hangs up. 

Text messages are coming through though, for two factor auth. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MrNick - thanks for coming back to us. It sounds like everything's set up ok on your phone. Please message us through Social Media and we can then check your account.

I don't have social media :Sad_face:

If you don't have social media @MrNick you can pop the LiveChat team a message here instead 😊