Ask

Solution

Uk unlimited contract can't roam in Bulgaria

Photogeeza
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, 

I have UK pay monthly contract.

I am in Bulgaria but can't make any calls out to anywhere, it says emergency call only !!

I have turned roaming on but still no calls, I am not great with tech, in the past I use to get a msg upon landing here to say that I would be with a Bulgarian network but this time nothing, tried turning phone on and off but no joy.

Also turned off auto maroc network and started selecting bg networks but I'm not getting anywhere, I have a Huawei P30 Pro, hope someone can help me as I need my phone when snowboarding in the mountain incase of accidents or getting lost.

Thanks in advance 💖

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

That's strange @Photogeeza , as you have been able to roam in Bulgaria previously, it proves roaming is active and working on your account, but it wouldn't do any harm contacting Vodafone and asking them to check your account in case there is a restriction, you can speak to Vodafone through social channels here: Contact Us 

From the sound of things you have already completed a manual network scan, you are are able to roam on any network where you are able to get a connection.

Hi Ann's,

Thanks for your reply!! 

could only roam previously in past years with other non Vodafone contracts. 

I did have a roaming block on 2 days ago, voda customer services said they had removed that and within 24hrs I will be up and running, but 48hrs on nothing, I restart phone as they advise then I lose the advisor and have to reconnect to voda and then go through security and story/issue all over again which takes ages only to get asked to restart phone again hu hu 

Hi Ann's 

I have manually scanned but can't get access to any of the proposed Bulgarian networks. 

Regards

Colin

AnnS

Hi @Photogeeza 

It sounds like you may not have roaming included on your plan, you need to be on an Xtra, Red or one of the other unlimited plans.  If you have taken out one of the cheap Basic plans, you won't be able to roam, it will be just basic UK calls, texts and data.

Speak to the Social Team here : Contact Us they will be able to check the plan you are on, you can also ask live chat the same question.

As a workaround, if you have an unlocked phone as most phones are now, consider getting a Bulgarian SIM, this will take care of your calls and texts until you return to the UK.

Hi AnnS,

All sorted now after many hours in chat with vodaphone, they had to select a non Bulgarian plan then a bg plan and all is good, idk if glitch with phone or sim tbh.

Thanks for your advice ❤️