Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Live chat agent asking for card details

Yanniep
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I tried to take out a new phone contract online today but it kept saying error so tried though live chat.
“Craig” the agent I was speaking to asked a load of questions At first that I didn’t find suspicious:

how long I’ve been at my address, my bank account number and sort code etc which I gave to him...

he then said as it was a high value handset I needed to complete additional security checks and then asked for my 16 digit bank card number, expiry Date and CVV. I have been a victim of bank fraud only this week and been advised to never give these details out, and noticed that the Vodafone website states they will never ask for card details on online chat. I refused and Craig got quite pushy for them ... anyway I never gave him them.

This was for an additional Phone contract, I’m already a customer of Vodafone for 10 years, and already have another contract so it all seems odd that he needed all this information for “security”?

any help would be appreciated and whether I should report this and who to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

You were right to go with your gut instinct @Yanniep 

I'd suggest to speak with the Vodafone Social Media Team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries as they have full access to accounts to help.

Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers

You were right to go with your gut instinct @Yanniep 

I'd suggest to speak with the Vodafone Social Media Team via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries as they have full access to accounts to help.

Link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Scarlett99
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

They don't need your card details or even your bank details if you are an existing customer.  (They may ask for an address history however if that's not up to date on your account).

Sounds to me as though the agent was attempting to open a brand new account.  Card details are used to verify identity and bank details for the DD of course - but you probably have this set up on your account already.

For a new connection on an existing account they will only carry out an internal check ie have you paid your bills on time etc.

Edited to add - if there was a relatively large up front payment for the phone the card details might have been required for that (giving Craig the benefit of the doubt).

But I would contact Vodafone to check your account an