Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Changing to Vodafone from BT

mikeact
4: Newbie

As a very much 'non techy', I would really appreciate some advice. After many, many years, due to cost, we have decided to change to Vodafone. We currently have a typical BT set up, router, broadband and a BT/Youview/Humax recording box.

Going with Vodafone can we still use the Youview box ? And the BT remote ? or do I somehow have to get a replacement remote ? We want to retain the current functionality that we are used to with the box, freeview, record, playback,  etc. My wife is very nervous about any changes ! Thanks for any help/advice etc.

4 REPLIES 4

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@mikeact  A quick search in this forum and ...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Why-won-t-my-tv-connect-to-my-broadband-even...

.... may be some help. Humax is mentioned about 6 replies down from the start.

CrimsonLiar

The Youview box should work with any ISP, but you may need to fully reset and go through all the setup menus again.  You may though lose some extra content that was specific to BT or cancel any BT-specific paid subscriptions you have on the box.  As the box is a couple of generations old now, you may well already be losing functionality from it.

I see, thanks. 

Perhaps we should bin it and start again,  but is there any particular Humax model that you would recommend as there seems to be a lot of choice  ?

CrimsonLiar

I guess it all comes down to how you are using the device!  Most TVs now have catch-up TV apps and a few more, so far fewer of us use/need any kind of PVR.  My Samsung BD-8900 is used so rarely it's not even plugged in.  So you might get away with a Firestick (can be problems with the WiFi channels), Roku, or Apple TV, all of which have more intuitive remotes than any PVR I've used.

*I use a 4K Google TV device (no Channel 4 app ?!?!?!) as I used to use the Stadia service, but if I were looking to replace it, I'd go with a Nvidia Sheild if I could justify the price or a Roku if I couldn't.