Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Devices connected but no internet connection

mglong
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Been a VF BB customer for some time now with zero issues but the last week has been a nightmare.  Devices keep reporting "No internet connection" - SkyQ main box, SkyQ Mini boxes, PS5, various iPhones, etc.  Some devices never have a problem (Samsung TV).

I've read loads of threads here: many people report various similar issues.  I've tried various things, starting with a Factory Reset but the problem still persists.  At any point in the day, various devices will not be connected.  Right now, none of my SkyQ boxes are working (they report they are connected to Wi-Fi but not connected to the internet).  Tomorrow, they may be working but my son's PS5 will not work (we've even tried an ethernet cable for his PS5).  It seems to be a bigger problem with 2.4Ghz devices but the PS5 is 5Ghz and that has definitely not worked at times (cue annoyed son who cannot play FIFA...).  All our laptops (MacBooks) tend to be OK which is a small blessing I suppose.

I'm at a bit of a loss and any suggestions would be welcome

Vox3.0v

Firmware version 19.4.0551-3261103-20211126144629-7efccd9e333e995b72430e4ef45c0f27f265fb5d
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Posted a very similar answer very recently so I'll keep this short.

The problematic device MAY be the Sky Q box.  Try turning the Sky Q off, and see if all the other network issues go away!  If that does sort it, you'll probably need to seek support on the Sky Q box.

Thanks @CrimsonLiar.  I did indeed check the Sky Q forums later last night and it seems I'm not alone although there's not much information to help me determine if the root cause is Sky, VF (either the service or the router) or a combination of the two.

If you have any insight, it would be much appreciated.  I'll try the "switch all Sky equipment off" approach and see what happens, although the majority of the trouble I'm experiencing today is with Sky Q itself.  I've moved our PS5 onto Wi-Fi 2 (temporarily) which does seem to have improved things for my son!

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for keeping the thread updated @mglong  and thank you @CrimsonLiar for your help 🙂 

Please let us know how you get on and if you need us to check anything, please come and chat to us via Facebook or Twitter

Jayach

I read @CrimsonLiar's response on the other thread, and the theory is that the Sky box(es) are causing lots of packets on the wireless Lan (network storm?) and blocking other devices.

If putting the PS5 on the guest network  is improving things for that device it would seem to confirm it.

So how about putting the Sky boxes on the guest network and leave everything else on the main one.

Would that work?

I also read that 'solution' on other threads @Jayach.  The combination of these threads explains why this might help.  To date, I'd just read that it fixes the issue but with no explanation of how.  It's now starting to make sense and I will indeed move all Sky Q (main box and two mini boxes) to Wi-Fi 2 to isolate them and see what difference it makes.  Thanks for your help on this.

Jayach

The only possible problem may be if the Vodafone router enforces wireless isolation on the guest network, meaning devices can "see" the router and therefor the internet, but not each other.

I don't exactly know how the Q boxes interact, but I know it's different when thy have a Q router to when they are on a 3rd party router.

Good luck.

@Jayach - I just tried putting all my Sky Q equipment onto the Wi-Fi 2 network but no joy; the main Sky Q box says it is connected but in reality, it's not working and all features on the box (catch-up, on-demand) say it has no internet connection.  Furthermore, neither of my Sky Q Mini boxes will connect to the main Sky Q box, so I'm worse off.  By returning them to the main VF Wi-Fi network, the Mini Boxes will join their own mesh network and we can watch TV in other rooms, but not catch-up or other on-demand services.  I'm guessing there is enforced wireless isolation on the Wi-Fi 2 network, meaning the Sky Q devices cannot "see" each other to get connected.

I'm at a bit of a loss.  It is looking more like a Sky problem than VF but proving anything is going to be nigh-on impossible.

Jayach

It does sound like a Sky problem, the only thing I think you can do is see if you can get some help on the Sky forum.

CrimsonLiar

If you have nothing to lose on the Sky Q box, then the solution may be to remove the mini-boxes from the network and then fully reset the Sky Q box.  See if that works.  If it does then fully reset the mini-boxes one by one and re-introduce them to the local network (putting them on the guest network will do nothing positive).