Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does the new Power Hub have modem mode?

Superjet2161
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm in the process of switching from Shell to Vodafone. The new Vodafone Power Hub has arrived, and I've plugged it all in anticipation of it being activated on Wednesday (ADSL).

I currently have the Shell router in modem mode, and then it is plugged into an Asus RT-AX53U router, which everything in the house connects to.

How do I put the Power Hub into modem mode? I can't see anything obvious in the settings. My connection is ADSL and my Asus router doesn't have an ADSL connection, so it needs to pass through the ISP's router first. Am I out of luck?

8 REPLIES 8

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Superjet2161 There is no modern mode. But what contract have you signed up for as I believe that VF are only selling FTTP.

I will have to check with my landlord as he has purchased the new contract. We had Vodafone a couple of years ago before switching to Shell, and now back to Vodafone. Is that a recent change that Vodafone only sell FTTP?

We definitely don't fiber that as I live in a private close which is stuck with copper lines as far as I'm aware, and we use a RJ11 cable to connect our existing Shell router.

Will this mean that my Asus router is out of action, or is there any workaround?

Cynric

@Superjet2161 I could be wrong about FTTC not being available, it may be a location thing.

There is a long thread about using non-VF routers and it is worth a look, perhaps start at the latest post and work backwards.

Thanks, I had a quick a look at the thread earlier and couldn't see anything about my current router but will reply to see if anyone has any experience.

Ripshod

There's no modem mode. The closest function on the VF router is "Static NAT/DMZ/Exposed Host". Enable this, disable the DHCP and WiFi, and it's as close as you'll get to modem mode.

CrimsonLiar

At least on Teesside it looks like BT is repurposing equipment.  So the cabinet I was connected to (and fictionally still am), no longer has any fttc capability.  But there's even one small estate nearby that has just been upgraded from ADSL2 to G.Fast.

*That moment you realise your ThinkBroadband results are so much higher than anyone else in the area that you've just doxed yourself!

Cynric

@CrimsonLiar  There are a number of articles online about converting the cabinets, but it's to E.V. chargers. That'll give your line a boost but not the one you were expecting. 😁

CrimsonLiar

Coming from the West Midlands on parts of Teesside you'd think Shameless was a documentary.  I think the problem is that there are housing estates that are likely to be redeveloped and currently have 2-4Mbps ADSL2 so there is no drive to install cable!  These estates are still due to lose their analogue phone though!
*I'm quite used to seeing cars parked on top of the telephone cabinets - but the the only charging is by the police!