cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre optic cable depth buried in front garden to rea h house?

Bokjock
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Any information on what depth the fibre optic cable is buried when running through a front garden into the house and also, how is it protected? Is it in a steel sheath or similar? 

Want to do some gardening and don't want to sever the cable. 

TIA

4 REPLIES 4

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Bokjock The weather's perfect for getting out into the fresh air and tidy up our home environment a little. To help with connection, it's recommended the cables are a minimum of 25cm deep, but it all depends on hardness of surface above it, distance from the house, quality of the work etc. If the work you're thinking of doing will need you to dig deeper than this, it may be worth checking the exact location of the cable before starting.

Thanks Mark 

Well, I actually severed the fibre optic cable in a plastic sheath and have had no Internet for 4 days now and no word of when this will be repaired. Working from home has cost me an additional £34 for unlimited mobile data to hot-spot, which to be honest I cannot afford right now. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear work had already started in your garden and you'd had this mishap before you'd contacted us. Let's check an engineers been booked to complete the repairs and give you an idea of when this will be. As we'll need access to your account to do this, please reach out to us via one of our social channels and we'll be able to get you an update.

I just started a conversation in FB messenger with someone, thank you.