Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast installation across my property

eloceo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I'm about to have FTTP installed (next week 24/6) and I already run BT Infinity.  I live in MK.  I'm somewhat concerned about the comments in other forums/messages that CityFibre (or whoever) do not use the existing conduit (that both the old copper and openreach fibre run in).  I have approx 25metres between my front door and the curtilage of the property with around 20 meters of block paving in between.  Do the installers rip up my driveway to lay new conduit (and indeed will the make good to my satisfaction)? Perhaps one of the vodafone moderators could respond or indeed anyone who has had similar experience.

12 REPLIES 12

Hi Jayach, thanks for taking the time to help. Yes you’re right I have CityFibre in my area now and they finished laying their infrastructure for their full fibre gigabit broadband which I have to order through Vodafone. 

It used to be BT only around where I live that could offer FTTP hence why I was with them. But now my contract with BT has ended and I saw the good Black Friday from Vodafone I decided to switch providers BUT I don’t want to have another ONT box installed in my living room if at all possible. The reason why I ordered was Vodafone said they could use existing equipment that is already in place. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you look around the forum, you will see people are having problems getting Vodafone via Openreach.

If you also have CityFibre available then Vodafone may be intending to use that. Whilst Openreach and CityFbre can share some infrastructure, such as ducts, they cant use each others fibres,

With the current news it should soon be possible to get Vodafone via Openreach more easily so you may want to wait. (although you will miss black Friday)

https://www.ft.com/content/1844ee07-0d97-4171-9dbf-aa4ef0518d55

Edit: I believe, if you look at the Gigafast deal you are trying to sign up for, if it says up and down speeds are the same it will be CityFibre. If the up speed is lower than the down it's Openreach. (I believe this to be true but I don't have the option of either here, so can't definitely confirm)

Thanks for your link I will have a read and also check around the forum for those other threads. I guess it makes sense that having the same upload and download speeds will mean connection to the cityfibre network. Just a little annoyed that I was told the incorrect information when I was enquiring.  I guess will have to see if we can hide the second ont somewhere if we decide to go ahead with the install as to be fair it is a great deal. 

Thanks for your help though.