Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast installation across my property

eloceo
3: Seeker

I'm about to have FTTP installed (next week 24/6) and I already run BT Infinity.  I live in MK.  I'm somewhat concerned about the comments in other forums/messages that CityFibre (or whoever) do not use the existing conduit (that both the old copper and openreach fibre run in).  I have approx 25metres between my front door and the curtilage of the property with around 20 meters of block paving in between.  Do the installers rip up my driveway to lay new conduit (and indeed will the make good to my satisfaction)? Perhaps one of the vodafone moderators could respond or indeed anyone who has had similar experience.

12 REPLIES 12

MartynBest

I have a similar installation that is proposed for you on my overseas property where the fibre company used an existing underground conduit. However here in the UK I have FTTC so the last 100 or so metres is a copper cable in an underground conduit owned by Openreach. A year or so ago, this cable went bad and they had to draw a new one through the conduit but the job was easily done.

It would appear that companies like CityFibre utilise a toby box outside the property boundary, and then a short fibre patch cable through a conduit into the house where it terminates at an ONT (Optical Network Terminal). I see no reason why they couldn't utilise your existing conduit - unless of course it isn't actually a conduit but a directly buried copper cable. If they insist on getting Mr Bull to rip up your driveway I would consider an alternative supplier.

https://www.cityfibre.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CF-Fact-Sheet_FTTH-Consumer-FTTH_Jan-2018.pdf 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @eloceo I completely understand your apprehension here.  As this work is undertaken and completed by CityFibre, I'd recommend reaching out to them directly to find out the extent of the work they plan to do, and how this may affect you and your property

Thanks Jack, however I've already spoken to City Fibre who assure me that they have nothing to do with the installation itself - that is down to Vodafone.  City Fibre are responsible only for the installation at street level.  I've since spoken to Vodafone support who assure me that the Vodafone installation engineering team will attend (tomorrow) complete with a ground works team who will dig up and repair as necessary, or possibly use existing conduit.  We shall see - I'll report my experiences so others can review.  When Openreach (BT infinity) was installed a few years back they sent a separate team out to review the requirements a week ahead so that ground works could be reviewed/completed and if there were any issues with the Openreach street/distribution box installation, it could be dealt with there and then and the BT installation engineer simply had to turn up and fit/commission the ONT and router later that week.  It seems (as relayed by City Fibre) that if the Vodafone installation team experience any problems with the fibre at street level, they then have to escalate to City Fibre support and wait for them to come out (while the customer looks on apprehensively)........   Watch this space

Ok, for anyone interested in a Gigafast installation in Milton Keynes.  Summary - My house is approx 25 mtres from the path, I already had BT Infinity FTTH (Openreach) installed via trunking underneath my driveway to the Openreach pit outside on the public pathway (now communally available to City Fibre under new arrangements).  Chris (from a sub-contracted firm to City Fibre not Vodafone) arrived at the agreed time and we discussed how it should be installed. Both our preferences were that the fibre should run in existing ducting.  Sadly, the ducting had two breaks in it, but luckily only about 1 metre apart and on my property (had it been outside of my curtilage he would have had to call in City Fibre again).  Chris lifted the paving and repaired both breaks sufficiently to pass the fibre sleeving through the ducting from the pit to the house. He then made good the ground works (very well I may say).  The fibre was then blown inside the tubing and connected to the City Fibre infrastructure.  His colleague Hass arrived and installed the ONT and router and hey presto 534 Mbps on tap.  There were issues with the City Fibre take off points in the cabs/pits but Chris escalated and it was resolved an hour later (albeit that CIty Fibre will have to complete some other works at a later date - but not to my detriment, I was assured).

Hi, sorry to post in an old thread but found this post whilst searching the web for an answer to the situation I’m in so have registered so I can ask here. 
So I am currently with BT and have a fttp service. I have decided to move to Vodafone pro broadband to take up their current Black Friday deal on their gigafast product. Before placing the order I spoke to a broadband advisor and asked if Vodafone could use my existing equipment which BT Openreach installed (so the BT Openreach ONT and existing fibre cable running into the house) as I didn’t want 2 ONT boxes in the living room and upon checking the advisor said yes they can use existing equipment. So I thought great and placed the order. I was given a go live date and even received a call

from BT to say that a request had been made for another provider to take over the line so everything looked ok. BUT yesterday I had some technicians from Kelly Communications come to the property to say they are running some ducting through the BT duct in preparation for the new fibre install! I was surprised as I was advised they could use the same equipment. 

But now I have found this thread it looks like I was provided incorrect information and Vodafone has to install their own fibre cables to the house then?  Can somebody from Vodafone clarify please? Is there no way for Vodafone to use the existing fibre infrastructure I already have in place? 

OP, how has the service on Vodafone been compared to BT FTTP? 

Hey @AJ8 I hope you're doing well 😊 If customers already have an existing ONT we will of course always try to utilize this before installing another line.  We know that our customers don't want lots of boxes and holes in their walls. If you are having a new line installed then it means that for some reason we weren't able to take over the existing one. The best thing to do is to drop a message to our Social Media team here with your account/ landline number and a link to this thread. They can securely access your account to check your installation notes and find out why you are having a new line fitted when you were advised otherwise 🙂

@Steph, thanks for the message. I have sent a message to the social media team as per your instructions so hopefully they can shed some light on this issue. 

@Steph, I have sent a message to the Social Media team via Messenger yesterday but have had no response yet.  I was wondering W hat’s the lead time for answering messages on that platform? 

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

First question is do you have CityFibre (or another non-Openreach) provider in your area?

If not it must be Openreach, so they should use the existing installation. As they were from Kelly it does sound like Openreach as they definitely use Kelly, but possibly some of the other providers may also use them.