Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Hi Guys

sorry I did post yesterday about my problems and ultimate success using the TP-Link AC2800 router on VF broadband.

The initial issue was that VF supplied my username without the @broadband.vodafone.co.uk part. I didn't have any clue that was needed until jimborae advised that you needed the second part to connect. never mentioned by VF.

I also had issues with the password which changed in the emailed copy of the online chat sent to me by VF. after experimenting with different fonts I finally cracked it.

To answer jonny I did not have to reset as he did. All settings were mirrored as he stated and it all connected and stayed running happily onve the password and username issues were resolved. so to confirm, whatever username VF give you it needs to be entered as your user name @broadband.vodafone.co.uk with the password to connect. I used VF tag 101 and type of connection PPoE of course.

I am happy to share anything further if anyone needs to clarify

KR's all

Bunn

sorry the rules don't allow me to post the username in correcr format. just add the last bit to you username without any spaces

Hi Bunn,

Very sorry to bother you.

I have just had VF Gigafast installed and im trying to get my TP link AC2800 setup and i think i am getting all the setting correct, but i keep getting the message "Not connected to internet".

Did you use the quick set up option ? or did you configure differently ?

Any help would be great.

Many thanks again 

H.p

Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably best to refer you to https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/3rd-party-router-on-Gigafast-in-Milton-Keyne... but on top of that, you'll also need your username and password.

Hiya Keith,

Thanks for your reply and info, i am indeed in MK, so the thread is very useful, but i am still unable to use my TP link AC2800 router to connect, i have the username and password from VF, and i select the ISP as other then enter the username and password and set Vlan as 901 and i have the fiber box connected to my Lan4 port that is marked as Wan.

Yet when i connect the VF router all works fine.

any other suggestions ? 

All help gratefully received 

machare
13: Advanced Member

@happypedal69 wrote:

Hiya Keith,

Thanks for your reply and info, i am indeed in MK, so the thread is very useful, but i am still unable to use my TP link AC2800 router to connect, i have the username and password from VF, and i select the ISP as other then enter the username and password and set Vlan as 901 and i have the fiber box connected to my Lan4 port that is marked as Wan.

Yet when i connect the VF router all works fine.

any other suggestions ? 

What happens if you try Vlan 911?   Others have got that value to work.

Hiya,

Thanks for your message 

Yeah i have the Vlan setting to 911, but still i get the "not connected to internet", i have tried the quick set up, as "Other",  "plus net" and "BT" and in advanced settings have Vlan set to 911, still no joy.

Yet reconnect the VF one and all works ok, i will check in the morning with VF to check that i have the correct username and password.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue that comes up time and again in here regards not being able to make a connection with a third party router is usernames and passwords.  The ONLY way you can make sure you have these correct is if you can get them sent to you via email, so that you can then copy and paste.

*and make sure to include "@broadband.vodafone.co.uk" or the gigafast equivalent at the end of the username.

Hiya,

I got the username and password via Chat and then i had the chat transcript sent to me, so i copied and pasted this, but i will contact them again tomorrow and hopefully they have given me duff info.

I will keep evryone updated with how i get on.

Thanks for all the help so far

VLAN has to be set to 101