Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HOW TO: Use a third party router on Vodafone VDSL

jonnywombat
2: Seeker

On Firday afternoon Vodafone UK sent a corporate email telling their support team that they can now give out Broadband username and passwords.

I have now set up my own router, and here's what i did.

Step 1 Ring VF on 08080034515 and get your username and password. The support team member then emailed me my Log in info.

Step 2 Swap your router. Keep your VF router in case you ever get an issue and need tech support as they will not support your 3rd party device

Step 3 In your routers web interface access the WAN settings. Set connection type to PPPoE, enter username and password and leave all settings as default EXCEPT enable 802.1Q and set Vlan tag to 101.

Step 4 Save settings and apply. Your router should now connect to VF. Mine took a couple of minutes to get a connection and another couple from the router showing it was connected to actually being able to access the net

Step 5 After a few minutes the connection dropped, and it would not connect again. After investigation I was told this is to do with VF registering your router on there network. Hard reset your router. Power it down remove the power cord for 30 seconds and power back on.

Step 6 Enjoy

This is just based on my experience of setting up my router ASUS DSL-AC68U, YMMV. However the ASUS is syncd at 73.6meg, when the VF router syncd at 72.1 and I have noticed a marked improvment in performance.

HTH someone

Jonny

343 REPLIES 343

Probably a really stupid question. Just purchased a vr600 and can’t get it working. Can you step through how in the most basic way. Thanks

machare
13: Advanced Member

Contact support and ask for the connection username and password again.  The username should be in the format: dsl000123456ATbroadband.vodafone.co.uk where AT is an @ sign.

machare
13: Advanced Member

The post by  florca 06-06-2017 01:44 AM in the "Re: Own Router - Recommendations" thread shows 802.1p set to a value of 2.

In this thread the dannylee1980  post on ‎28-06-2017 01:47 PM shows 802.1p set to a value of 0.

Which is correct or does it not really matter?

Hi - I'm pretty certain that it doesn't really matter and will work with either. I just pulled the "2" value as the default out of a reflashed HG612 modem and it worked fine when hooked up to VF, but I strongly suspect that VF / OR don't actually honour 802.1p prioritisation settings anyway!

Simplest answer is to try both and see which works (and whether there's any difference) :Winking_smiley:

julzzzzzz

I am using a ASUS DSL AC68U router and it will not authenticate my username and password ( Username dsl******@broadband.vodafone.co.uk Password ******)

I have also tried the same details on a NETGEAR D6400 with no joy.

Details have been confirmed with Vodafone several times, on the last occasion the adviser logged into my Vodafone router and confirmed the details are correct.

ASUS router is picking up all the line stats ie downstream upstream etc etc but I just cannot get onto the internet.

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction because I’m running out of ideas.

Have you set the VLAN tag to 101 and connecting via PPPoE?  Whilst I've not used the same models as you, I've used a TP-Link VR600 and Netgear D6220 and these have connected fine, so suspect that it's something in the configuration (especially for the Netgear)

Hi. I thought my details were correct too but the password had changed due to the different fonts being used. Just look very closely at that. Once I had tried a few combinations it a suddenly just connected. Just saying. 😁

Are you doing this over the phone? I mentioned it a page back or so that people should always do it via live chat. My experience was doing it 6! times over the phone it was given to me incorrectly every time, even when going through it letter by letter.

Ask them on live chat, then copy/paste what they send you into notepad, you'll probably find that they mixed up L's, i's, I's and 1's, I suspect they get the same font on their screens that we get in the live chat, once its pasted into notepad you get to see it properly.

Spot on!

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

Or get them to send it via email if you are on the phone!