Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MAC filtering disabled

Jimricoli
2: Seeker

I have, for the past 2 years, managed my teens internet access with my vodafone router by 'blocking' his devices one by one at around 10pm using the 'Block device' feature on the Vodafone Broadband app. As I understand it, this function applies a Mac filter to block the specific device. I have also used the manual MAC filter tab on the router Gui, but find the app much simpler.

I recently had to reset my router (15 sec hold on reset) as I was having connectivity issues and Vodafone support advised me to do this. 

Since this time, I have been unable to use the 'Block device' function on the app, as it states "Warning - MAC fiktering or blacklist features seem to be disabled. They will be activated automatically by proceeding with device blocking. Are you sure you want to proceed? Cancel or Confirm"

Hitting confirm results in the dialogue box disappearing but no blocks put in place. I have tried this again and again, but to no avail. 

I have subsequently tried turning MAC filtering on on the GUI, but the GUI has a alert when I access the Mac filter tab under the WiFi tab that says "As your wifi is disabled at the moment, any changes won't take effect until it's activated". The wifi, however, is not disabled as I was using it and continue to use it on multiple devices. When selecting a device to filter, it then says "Corrections needed - invalid parameter name"

The Mac filter tab under settings allows me to turn Mac filtering on, but once applied, this doesn't pull through to the tab under WiFi tab. It also does not block any devices set to Deny even once this is applied.

Vodafone support have been fairly useless, asking me to do what I have set out above, and I haven't got any further. One agent said I should wait 3 hours after toggling MAC filtering on, and then carry out a hard reset (45 sec hold on reset button). Dubious, I did this and no difference, exactly the same issues above arise. I then contacted Vodafone again and got frustrated with agent that the were trying to get me to do the same actions, verbatim, despite my protests that I am not an idiot and that I would like them to read the transcript of my earlier chat! 

I have updated the firmware to latest version.

It is too slow to go through this again with yet another agent, so I ask you, the community, has anyone seen anything like this, or been able to resolve it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I will try to attach screen shots of the error notifications to illustrate the issue... 

13 REPLIES 13

Jimricoli

Screenshot_20210304-194201.png

Jimricoli

Screenshot_20210304-194122.png

fazm

Have you tried using the MAC filter page under settings rather than Wifi?

Yep, that page doesn't give an error, and seemingly takes the instruction to allow MAC filtering and deny access to a specific device, but it doesn't actually apply the rule. It says "Your changes have been applied" but the device still has access. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

How odd @Jimricoli - A hard reset shouldn't effect your ability to block certain devices or use the functions on the GUI. Have you tried resetting your router again?

Could you set up a Guest WiFi via the Broadband app and connect the device you wish to block to that and then set up a schedule? I've attached a helpful video clip that might be worth having a watch of.

Hi Evie

That might work, but to be honest I want the router to function as it should. I've been disappointed with the functionality of the vodafone router from day 1 (compared to the BT Homehub) in terms of device management.

I'm not interested in a work around, I want the issue to be resolved. If it worked before, there is a reason it doesn't work now... I just can't figure it out and the tech support agents on the Tobi web chat don't seem to get that. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I understand where your are coming from @Jimricoli - Have you tried resetting your router again? If that is what has caused this then it may kick it back into action as well.

Also, have you checked that your router is on the latest firmware? You can do this by going to the GUI > Expert mode - Firmware update - Check for update.

Since it is showing as your WiFi being disabled, I would also suggest dropping us a message on social media so that we can check that everything is as it should be on your account. If you do drop us a message make sure to include your landline/account number, full name and a link back to your forum post 😊

I too have discovered that the MAC filtering does not work. Seems like they have purposefully hamstrung the functionality of this router because I long ago discovered that I couldn't switch to exclusively either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, it is controlled by Super Wi-fi on your phone but that doesn't allow you to do anything either, which is a real P.I.T.A when comes to connecting smart devices that only function on 2.4Ghz. 

Stop treating your customers as idiots vodafone, stop being so tight and employ some more qualified staff.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@dshow wrote:

IStop treating your customers as idiots vodafone, stop being so tight and employ some more qualified staff.

If you spend long enough on the forum, you will find some of them are.