Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems setting up Tapo lamps and plugs

GRAHAMWARR
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have recently switched my broadband to Vodafone Superfast 100 and am having difficulty connecting up my TAPO WiFi lamps and plugs to the network. I follow the instructions on my phone using the tapo app and the lamps are found with the TAPO wifi but when it comes to the app finding my Vodafone network its not listed. I have tried putting in manually but it still fails to connect. I am thinking this is due to the wifi frequency (?) as the lamps only work on 2.4 ghz wifi and I think I am running on 5 ghz. Can this be altered or set to 2.4 ghz or both frequencies so I can still use the lamps and plugs? And if so please advise how to do this. I wasnt sure what i was doing but I did try switching to both frequencies and the split switch on the vodafone network app but tapo app still failed to find the network.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Unless you've changed the settings on your router, it will have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands enabled.  If you've "split" the SSIDs then there will (should) be a minor difference in the naming of the two.  So it may be possible that you are trying to enter the 5GHz SSID for devices that are on the 2.4GHz band.  Looking at the web interface of the router should give you the info that you need.

*Don't think I've ever had an issue with TAPO devices, unlike some brands!

Jayach

If you have split the bands, the 5Ghz will have a 5G added to it's SSID, so the one without 5G is the 2.4Ghz.

Is the phone itself connected to the Vodafone router?

My phone is connected to the 5ghz network. I have a Philips lamp and Samsung tv which are connected and working with Alexa. But unable to connect the Tapo lamps and sockets on initial set up which work at 2.4ghz. On the tapo app it finds the lamps and connects with its own tapo WiFi then it searches for available WiFi networks and my Vodafone network isn't listed. 

On the Vodafone network app my main WiFi is listing two a 2.4ghz and a 5ghz and the split WiFi is on.

Jayach

What happens if you connect the phone to the 2.4Ghz network?

CrimsonLiar

If you use an app such as WiFi Analyser, can you see your 2.4GHz WiFi?  You've not hidden the 2.4GHz SSID by any chance?

I ask because the Tapo devices are usually super easy to set up!