cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ultra hub compatibility mode for 2.4ghz is a joke.

ChrisO_SWC
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

If you rely on smart devices, plugs, bulbs etc DO NOT upgrade to the ultra hub, it does not support those devices on 2.4ghz WiFi.

10 REPLIES 10

dmfarrow
4: Newbie

My son just upgraded from the older pro broadband router to the latest Ultra Wifi6 router.  He changed the SSID back to the one previously used and everything connected to it straight away without any problems. All his smart devices worked without any issues and they're all on 2.4g  Perhaps you've disabled something on yours or there's a hardware issue specifically on your router?

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@ChrisO_SWC  Not all IoT devices can connect to channels 12 and 13 on 2.4GHz. Also try turning off all references to IPv6, if it is on. Have you tried connecting them to a hotspot with the same said and credentials, and then turning off the hotspot. You will have to turn off the router WiFi 2.4 GHz while connecting to the hotspot.

I agree, my channels are stuck in the range above 10, but Vodafone removed the basic functionality to change and manage channels. My tp-link devices which worked perfectly before won't even recognise the main WiFi which is supposed to be in compatibility mode and says 2.4ghz/5ghz/6ghz range. To top it all the firmware upgrade just fails as well...

Cynric

@ChrisO_SWC Yes, that router has been dumbed down a bit over the recent years and isn't much use for anyone who has a more complicated LAN environment. Do you have an AP or alternative router which gives you greater control?

I've bought a 2.4ghz only router and using a dedicated high IP range, but the routing is not great and devices still drop.

Cynric

@ChrisO_SWC One thought, and this a bit of a reach, how wide are the channels, 20/40/80? I guess that the router will not let you alter that ☹️

Hi Cynric, if you log in to the router direct, it looks like you should be able to trial wider bands, but…. There a banner which comes up saying this is managed within the dumbed down app… which… ah doesn’t work.

ChrisO_SWC_0-1708432692174.png

Cynric

@ChrisO_SWC Ah well, it was just an idea.

My THG3000 is in its box gathering dust on a bookshelf.

Thanks. All good suggestions. I did try to daisy chain my THG3000 and the ultra hub, but again, you don’t have real admin features to make it work.