cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

Thanks but I've totally failed to get the app working.

It shows a list of router pictures, I tap on the one I have and it's says pairing and then goes back to the list of routers.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@flykthewiz Are you able to do this through your computer instead? Please also let me know if uninstalling and reinstalling your Vodafone Broadband app lets you access this.

Hi, The app is working now and I can change it. I have been trying the app for a year and this is the first time it has worked.

I still have no access to it on the web interface, but i guess that is a firmware update needed. Why it was removed is anybodys guess.

I cant get to the channel settings through the browser or vodafone broadband app

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @manutdot78 

Our Wi-Fi team can help with your settings 👍 You can speak to them via 191 from a Vodafone phone or 03333 040 191 from a landline. 

This isn't something that you're able to do via the Vodafone Broadband app. 

I tried this with the "Xperts" this morning and was advised that there is nothing you can do to enable the settings at my end or access them remotely. Furthermore they advised that the router is best placed to automatically figure out which channel to use, which gien my poor connectivity isnt really the case! They also advised that it was because I have other WIFI enabled devices (Arlo and and House alarm) which was causing my issues.

It's a basic feature that many laymans can implement themselves, yet it has been taken away. I will be leaving Vodafone at the earliest opportunity as it is unusable currently.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@manutdot78 wrote:

I tried this with the "Xperts" this morning and was advised that there is nothing you can do to enable the settings at my end or access them remotely. Furthermore they advised that the router is best placed to automatically figure out which channel to use, which gien my poor connectivity isnt really the case! They also advised that it was because I have other WIFI enabled devices (Arlo and and House alarm) which was causing my issues.

It's a basic feature that many laymans can implement themselves, yet it has been taken away. I will be leaving Vodafone at the earliest opportunity as it is unusable currently.

I believe Vodafone have the ability to set the channels to whatever you request, using TR-069(CWMP).

However getting someone who knows how to do it may be difficult.

I don't think it's a viable solution because TR-069 is a reverse system compared to a standard user login. I mean it works in the opposite direction: it's the device that call the ACS, not a user that call the device. So, in order to have the TR-069 works on a custom ACS in our LAN, we should be able to change the ACS Url that is hard coded by vodafone into the router. That's more complicated  than hacking the software to change the wifi channel. Moreover, the Vodafone ACS could use authentication and surely device identification, and that should be mimicked locally (or hopefully bypassed simply returning OK to the device whatever it sends for authentication). Could also be possibile that the router is programmed to use https and to refuse custom certificates.

Trying that just to change a wifi channel it's a ridiculous waste of time! 😀 And at the first router firmare update it could stop working again.

When a company has the mentality set to serve limited routers so to limit the number of support staff, the expert user can only solve the problem ditching the limited router.

@rudumamy wrote:There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds. If you take the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (or Plusnet Hub One),

It's a bit difficult for a standard user to do that unless he it's bought already modified, and it's not even close to the speed of an HG612 at 15£. I know because I've tested them on the same exact line with same provider and more than one time. All ISP modem-routers are slower of about  6 or 5 mbps compared to the HG612 even when the DSLAM is not Huawei. The Hub One is beated even by the ECI modem by at least 3mbps. So those angry of bytes are better served by a 15 pounds modem + custom router (even a 30 pounds TP Link).

Jayach

@_rik_ wrote:

I don't think it's a viable solution because TR-069 is a reverse system compared to a standard user login. I mean it works in the opposite direction: it's the device that call the ACS, not a user that call the device.

It's true that it is the router that has to call the ACS, but they can command the router to do it. Also anything they set should be in your config at their end so will be re-applied after a reset. (assuming I'm understanding it correctly)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069