cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

Thanks @Mark, can you elaborate on the larger data set? Is this data acquired from my hub, if so, what data? SSIDs? MAC Addresses? Is the MAC then looked up to see vendor information? This list could get pretty long pretty quickly... Please elaborate on this.

Regards the WiFi and ZigBee coexistence query, of the 3 WiFi channels that are not overlapping (1, 6 and 11) and the 4 ZigBee channels that don't overlap, how can you say that they only overlap in a small set of frequencies? If I have a 2 channel reuse (it was a3 channel reuse plan but ZigBee speed that) plan around the 4 access points (one being the Vodafone router) I need to plan which channels are used to stop interference on the single ZigBee channel that is free of sidelobes. 

If WiFi doctor changes the channel used then I suddenly have a big admin headache to reassess which channels are used and create a new network plan.

@Mark the Vodafone THG3000 has only gone and changed its 2.4GHz channel to channel 12 which overlaps with the ZigBee channel 25 I am using for my ZigBee network! 

How can we turn off this madness (that's your WiFi doctor service). It's been 48 his since I requested the WiFi doctor service to be stopped so I can manually manage my WiFi channels but I haven't had any communications from the tech2 team like I was promised by your service agent.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Unless I misunderstood, turning off the WiFi doctor (if it's even running) will not then enable you to control the WiFi channels manually.

If there is anyone from Vodafone with a brain that is reading this - WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU PLAYING AT? This is a complete shambles. A month ago I was able to set my wifi channels, and now you've removed that (essential) facility that every other wireless router/access point has. Please put it back on again immediately.

Whoever came up with this idea is a total cretin and needs to be fired. In fact, it's borderline criminal to hijack someone's hardware and reconfigure it without their permission. You have no idea what you're messing with remotely. I'm an RF network engineer, and I'm perfectly cometent at selecting what frequencies to run my equipment on. Unlike your mysterious WitchDoctor service which has put my router on channel 6 (when it can clearly see that numerous neighbouring access points are also transmitting on that channel). Meanwhile channels 1 and 11 are completely clear.

@tash can you comment on your message - "Should this already be active, when logging into our GUI and selecting the 'Wi-Fi' tab, you'll need to switch 'Split Wi-Fi bands (SSID)' to off and click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page. " 

I read this to mean that if WiFi doctor is turned off then we then get manual channel selection back.

I also don't use the split bands option as I only work on the 2.4ghz frequencies.

Just registered to say how absurd the policy of deciding how your customers should use their own hardware in their own homes is after discovering the missing WiFi channel on my GFs router. I'll be advising her to choose a different provider when her term expires. It is irrelevant if VF are correct about their supposed 'superior' automated knowledge (exceptionally unlikely) - the principle of removing her/my choice of how to operate a network in her own home is completely unacceptable. 

Cynric

Paging the moderator(s) ...

A week ago I asked for the specification of the Wi-Fi Doctor Service and nothing has happened.

*Tumbleweed*

What appears to have be stated by VF so far boils down to a summary of "you can't change anything, nanny knows best" and "VF can remotely access the router without the customer's permission". 

Perhaps it's time to have a little word in the ear of Ofcom?

My old Humax freeview box needs a higher channel number,  been working well on 8 for years - yesterday auto switched to channel 4 and I lost wifi control on the box, lost iplayer etc !!!!!!!!!!

I have adjusted the channels before but things have changed for some reason, not impressed at the moment.

As earlier posts @itoney and @radumamy and others the old version of app allowed resetting of channel to 8.

https://vodafone-broadband.en.aptoide.com/app 

Lets hope that stays as is, I don't want to reinstall this app every time I want to change channel.

(Edit: found the checkbox on play that stops the old app updating, happy for now but what a waste of time)

What are you doing Vodafone ?    not listening that's for sure. 

My suggestion will be to keep the App always installed on your phone and do not update it. Use it whenever is required. We've noticed settings magically default back to automatic channel selection when VF deploy a firmware update or they have issues in house and send whatever reset signals to the router in order to restore functionality.

Vodafone please listen to your users and restore functionality via main Web GUI Expert mode. 

Thanks. 

Cynric

Hello moderators,

I'm really disappointed that you are ignoring my request for the specification of the Wi-Fi Doctor Service.