cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wireless channel selection missing in expert mode?

Adster
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

I was having some issues with my modem/router THG-3000, so I did a factory reset. However, now there is no option to select the wireless channels in expert mode. I need to manually select my 5GHZ channel to achieve max speeds on my wireless.

Was this removed by a recent firmware update or is my router bugged?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a solution to change the channel! While the issue still does exist (and hopefully they fix it soon) when trying to change the channel in Expert Mode, if you have Vodafone App you cna change the channel for your Wi-Fi through that. I hav the iOS version of the app, and in that, if I go to Wi-Fi, then Advanced Settings I cna change the channel in there. Hope this helps!

View solution in original position

206 REPLIES 206

My reading of this is that Vodafone would rather have a bunch of unhappy users who can't nail down the channel number than a number of other users who can set their channels to an inappropriate channel with resulting poor wifi performance.

Unfortunately, the automatic channel selection is not perfect and can't cater for situations where the wifi needs to be delivered to a point or device where a knowledgeable user can select an appropriate channel but the automatic channel selection can't get it right. In my case I have a security camera outside that is inundated with all of the neighbour's wifi. However, the neighbour's wifi signal doesn't reach my router with enough strength for the router to make the right choice. A manual choice based on a wifi analyzer means I can pick a channel that works outside.

There are numerous threads on the Vodafone community about the same issue so there are a significant number of users who want to tweak their systems.

I have spoken to VF today and asked that this be treated as a complaint. If enough people make it a formal complaint then something might be changed.

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Socrates wrote:

I have spoken to VF today and asked that this be treated as a complaint. If enough people make it a formal complaint then something might be changed.

Please do let us know what their answer to your complaint is.

I can see they have still not fixed the issue, unfortunately my router sometimes selects channel 8, which is useless in my property.   Turning it off and on, stays at 8, so have to factory reset the router.

Vodafone is the only company that I have seen that disables change channel number, even expert mode.

As Vodafone forum seems not to be working I recommend we email the ceo https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/vodafone-contact-uk-how-make-complaint-customer-s...  

ashmed.essam @ vodafone.com

The more people that do it, we might get somewhere.

No response yet from Vodafone CEO.  Also my router selecting channel six, so everything was staying for a couple of minutes and then getting disconnected.  

I decided not to reboot the router, and use there chat via the App, but got disconnected first time, because of the issue.  The second time, just kept been told the router selects the best, I kept saying why has it been on 6 for three hours and not realise everything is running slow and disconnect.  There solution is reboot the router and it will find the best.

I did, and yes it is working, but reminded them this is not a solution, as it changed itself to six which was useless in our house, and just got nowhere with them

But just kept been told it selects the best.   I asked them to start looking at the forums so you can see this is a big issue for lots of people.

Maybe if the routers select the best, we must all be lying.

Come on Vodafone, respect your customers and do something about this

Vodafone raised the issue as a complaint and they rang tonight to confirm the issue.  I was advised they are going to raise it up to the management team, to see if they can do an update to bring back the change WiFi Channel option

I have asked them to look at the forum, so they can see other users have the issue, and would like the option back.

Any updates on this yet? 

@essex guy no update yet, they were going to raise the compaint with the management team, to see about the next update enabling the WiFi channel option.

I did ask them to make sure they look at these forum post, so they can see lots of people are having the issue.

For the me I got the complaint raised by email support @ and ahmed.essam @ vodafone.com, I do not know which one worked from them to telephone me and raise the complaint.  The more people that do this, then maybe they will take some action.

Thank you

Thanks for the update and all you have done so far. I’ll put in a complaint also. 

The biggest issue I have with it is that my devices connect to the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz range. I’ve always split SSIDs to prevent this happening with my previous setups.

Jayach

@essex_guy Are you on Pro? I believe you can still split the bands if you are not.

Thanks, yes I am on the Pro Gigafast 900 Xtra Plan.

There is no option to split the bands in the app or the router web interface for me. I’d be grateful for any help.